poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

I have a cal spa hot tub model #04-v1300-2m manfacture date

Customer Question

i have a cal spa hot tub model #04-v1300-2m manfacture date 03-2-04 serial#04s-016201 it was leaning up against a tree in front of a farm house for sale.bought it and wired in to a pigtail at my shop to check its functoins and for leaks at first when i plugged it in i sould hear a clicking sound and it wouldnt come on tkept trying and finally it came to life i figured it was a relay that hadnt worked in years and had corrison on the contacts,or the outlet was faulty.anyway i let it run for an hour to see if the water would warm up some and it did by a couple degrees.so i took it to the house the next day and wired it into the electrical box where the former hot tub had been it started making the same clicking noise i had wired it the same way i had at the shop.it tripped the breaker.i had 2 hot and 1 ground the ground wire i connected to the "neutral"terminal on the controll box under the tub it tripped the breaker i hooked the ground wire to the"ground"terminal "nothing" i had an electrican come out and he said the ground from the circut breaker box was wrong.so he did something and the tub worked for about 2 weeks the electrican says the controller needs to be replaced thats where im at right now could you enlighten me as to what the next course of action i should im leaning towards replacing the controller to be done with it or replace a componant coul you help me troubleshoot this ?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 11 months ago.

Normally you'll hear a relay engage as soon as it's powered up, then the pump should start on low speed. Can you put your hand on the pump and see if it's getting hot or even spinning.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it was

So, hot and not spinning the shaft, or yes it's spinning the shaft of the motor?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the pump was spinning the shaft as i said it worked fine for a couple weeks then one morning last week it had quit. i'm leaning towards replacing all the guts or control box if you will.iv'e seen kits on line and know if i replace a relay, that doesn't make the other worn parts in the control box new then every thing starts failing and then it starts nickle and diming me to death
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have a gentleman who understands electrical and can make the repairs he wanted to consult with you first before making a poor judgment and buying parts

Yes I agree. If the pump is spinning, then that wouldn't be the control panel. We could just have a problem with the pump itself

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I flip the tripped breaker at the nearby box, then it lights up for a second or two then the breaker flips off at the box again. That's what I mean by "it was working then last week it quit". I had an electrician look at it. He said it was in the tub, not the wiring.

Oh ok, yes, when I asked if the pump was spinning and you said yes, I didn't realize that you meant that was before. Ok, if the breaker is tripping immediately, the first thing we need to do is disconnect the two heater wires, then try the breaker with the heater disconnected.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I disconnected the heater. The breaker still trips almost immediately.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry. Now I did what you said and disconnected the heater, then I also tightened a few connections in the control box and it it is working. I'm sure not heating up but otherwise working. All other functions are working.

Ok, so basically we've got a shorted heater then. That's what I suspected when you said it was tripping immediately. So you don't need a new control pack at all, just a new heater. Did you need me to get you part numbers, or help with anything else? If that solves the issue, you can just rate me on your end and that will close out the question. If you still need some more assistance just let me know and I'll be happy to help out. Thanks, Jeff

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
please give me the part number I need and options on where to get it so that I order the right thing.
Thank you.

No problem, can you attach a picture of the spa pack, so I can see the heater. Cal spa changed designs a few times, but I can recognize all of them by sight and there are generic replacements for most models so you don't have to pay so much for the new heater. Thanks, Jeff

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well now that I checked it again, the breaker is tripped, and now it comes on for about 5 seconds and trips again. I may need both the heater and controle pack after all ? Please see pic and send part numbers.