poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

We have a 04 haweye sparrow 3 seater. Replaced heater and

Customer Question

We have a 04 haweye sparrow 3 seater. Replaced heater and pressure switch. Pump works, but when button is pressed twice, air shoved out and then the air stopped. Read the manual troubleshooting but that didn't help. The only 2 fuses (except the big main one) has been checked and look fine.
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 11 months ago.

So does the pump run and just not pumping water, or it's not running at all? Also, can you post me a picture of the inside of the spa pack so I can see the electronics. The one fuse you're talking about that hasn't been tested yet is the one that would run the heater. So let me know and we can go from there. Thanks, Jeff

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This.should.have.the picture
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pump is running completely and water is heating but not hot. Is giving a code of 32

So the topside is showing 32 on the display? Anything else on it, or cycling between anything? Also, if you have a meter, we can do a little testing as well, just let me know. Thanks

Also, you do know that one of your pressure switch wires is NOT hooked up don't you? It won't heat at all without that connection.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he knows as he eat testing it. No other code. It does cycle and we are checking with meter. All the fusses are checking good.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He also made adjustment to pressure switch and turned the tub back on and it is now showing 95, which is the current temp. Just rechecked and the temp has moved to 97

still showing the 32 as well? That's strange too, because 32 is not any kind of error code that ever shows up on any brand of spa.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, that code is gone

So you have low speed, high speed on the pump operation and the heater is heating now with no codes, or do we still have something not working right?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All is going good except for the 2nd speed. It is only 1/2 the pressure. At times it will start full force then cut down to half force.

Normally when they do something like that it's an indication of a flow problem, water level high enough in spa? No valves partially closed before or after the pump plumbing? When it cuts down to half force, do you hear any slurping noises from the upper skimmer suction where your filters are? And you do only have one pump, correct? I just want to make sure it's not a whole other pump that's acting up for some reason.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Only one pump...water height is a little above normal, maybe a tad off to much...no slurping noise....all valves were just now rechecked to be fully opened. I week say this. There had been a little water leaking under the hot tub which we could find. But several things have been replaced or tightened yesterday and we don't see any more leaks yet.

ok, because an air leak on the suction side of the pump, usually straight off the front , will cause the pump to loose prime when on high speed as it will suck in more air than water when it's running faster. That being said, you can only locate a suction air leak by turning the power off and watching for any drips on the front suction side of the pump plumbing. When the pump is off, water will drip from the same place that is sucking air into the system when it's on. So that might be worth taking a look at as well, maybe a pinched oring on the pump union, a loose pvc joint, etc. But it will only be visible as a water leak right when you turn the pump off, just look around closely for a drip anywhere when nothing is running.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, the leak was on the opposite side of the filter and on the outer end ,

understood, but you still might take a look with the pump off, as it won't leak water at all when it's running if it's an air leak. For it to start pumping and then taper down sounds like an air leak or low water level. If neither one of those is present and the fact that he had to adjust the pressure switch, I'd be very tempted to remove the union from the front side of the pump and take a look inside the hole to the pump as there may very likely be something sucked into the impeller that's restricting flow.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is what looks like an air tube that has water in it. And it is not hooked up to anything. So we are letting the water out and look to see whee to connect it. That may be the problem would you think.

That's most likely an Ozonator tube, they put them on most spas in case you ever want to add an ozonator to the spa, if you don't have one, then that's normal, the tube usually just is coiled up with water in it and serves no purpose, good or bad.

It's plumbed in with the jet lines, so if you drain the water out of it, it's probably going to eventually fill back up as that's normal.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. How do you take the union out without losing the water in the tub
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I worded the explanation wrong. It didn't tapper, it will shoot a burst of power or air then stop.

ok, so when you say it stops, is the pump still running on high speed when it does this and just stops pumping water, or do you mean the pump stops running totally?

Most spas have shut off valves on either side of the pump or heater that you can push down to close off the water while you look in the pump, change the heater, etc. Now if your spa has no shut off valves at all, then yes, you'd have to drain it to look inside the pump impeller.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No stays running normal then shoots burst of bubbles

ok, good, there should never be air in the pump lines, so the fact that it's shooting out a bunch of bubbles, or air, means that it's sucking air in somewhere, either from your filter area if the water is low or something blocking water flow into the filter, sometimes a door etc. If that's not the case, then we're back to either an air leak in the plumbing in front of the pump, or an obstruction inside the pump impeller. It has to be one of those two things.

Shoot me a picture of your equipment area under the spa so I can see the pump and I can give you a little more detail on how to proceed once I see what you've got.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did you get it

yeah, well, I don't see any shut off valves on that pump plumbing, but the union nut you'd need to remove is that one on the right hand side, the large white nut, but to remove it, you will have to drain the spa. But before doing that, check on that nut and the drain cock that's farther up that pipe to make sure neither is leaking water when the pump is not running. If there are no water leaks with the pump off, then the next step would be checking inside the pump as something is obstructing your water flow and that's the most likely place.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you very much for your help. Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

you're very welcome and merry christmas to you as well. If you could rate my service with you today on your end, it will close out the question for me. If at any time you get in to that pump end and need any help with it, just post back to this same question thread, and I'll be happy to help you out with anything else you need. Thanks, Jeff

Just following up with you on the pump problem, the question was still popping up on my end as active, so wanted to make sure you didn't still need some help with it. Happy to do so if you need it. If you've got it taken care of then you can close out the question by rating my service on the question. If we did get it resolved I'd be curious to see what ended up being the issue. Thanks, Jeff