Billy
Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers
12672042

My name is ***** *****... Looking pinout topside control

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** *****... Looking for the pinout for the topside control panel RJ45 connector. Main unit is Balboa ICON15. I want to make my own panel with wifi control.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No issue per se. I can't find any schematics online that detail the control lines/signals from topside controller to main circuit board
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pool and Spa Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Looking for any tecnical info on the interface between the topside control panal on balboa icon15 spa main control box. Topside control panel is a Weslo brand. Interface is an RJ45? flat cable. I'm assuming it is some sort of serial interface? RS-232 perhaps? But I don't want to drag my my oscilliscope out to my spa to sniff the signals.
Expert:  Billy replied 11 months ago.

hello,

I may have misunderstood some of the info..

Is the system currently working as designed? Or is there a fault you are looking for?

Or, everything is fine but you are just curious as to making your own wifi interface?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
System is working fine. Yes on the wifi interface! how did you guess? :-]
Expert:  Billy replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have that diagram already but it does not give specifics on the interface between the topside control panel and the main controller cpu hooked to the heater element.
Expert:  Billy replied 11 months ago.

which diagram are you referring to? The icon15 or the rj45?

Expert:  Billy replied 11 months ago.

I sent 2

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The first one I have, as it is on the back of the CPU cover underneath the Jacuzzi. The second one doesn't even look to be for a SPA but some sort of alarm panel. It represents an ethernet connection which I'm 99% sure is not how the topside controller of older balboa spas communicates with the main cpu. The interface on the older ICON15 has to be some sort of serial interface like RS232 or RS485. I'm amazed that I can't find anyone on the internet that has never reverse engineered the damn thing. It's looking like I may have to haul my oscilliscope out to my spa and 'sniff' the RJ45 jack signals.... sigh.