poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

Thanks have a sandance spa - opened it up everything looks

Customer Question

Customer: thanks have a sandance spa - opened it up everything looks clean. when I turn the power on the main motor starts for 1 second then turns off - the display panel just has 2 dashes on it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: so, it won't start or do anything. When I turn on power - the main motor runs for about 1 second and then stops - that's really it The display panel just has 2 dashes - - that's it on display all the fuses check ok
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pool and Spa Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok, sure. I can do that. I am thinking the issue is s shot in the main motor
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 11 months ago.

When the motor comes on, is it actually running or does it sound more like a humming, which is what they do if they're seized up.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when it starts up - the motor does spin, but just fo 1 second, then I can hear it shut off

Can you snap me three pictures, one of the display you're seeing on the topside, one so I can see all the equipment down below, and one so I can see inside the control box down below where the circuit board is. Then I can wall you through some troubleshooting. Thanks, jeff

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, will do it will be later today

ok, thanks, Jeff

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Jeffcome on - it is not helping when you just ask questions like need a picture . please. I am mechanical - just give me some ideas. to help trouble shoot, that's what you about - right?I cant get picture until tomorrow - I opened and everything looks clean - when I turn power on , I see the main motor spin up - for 1 second, then I can hea something trip - not sure where, the main fuse is fine, The computer panel all looks good - I just want ideas of what to check? I was thinking of disconnecting the main motor - then checking to se if the sap would start up otherwise? if so, maye it's a short in the motor ? does this plan make sense ? Please give me some steps or ideas fo where to check next, Thanks

ok, It's just much easier when I can see what we're working with, and you had mentioned yesterday that you'd have the pictures today, so I was just responding to that. First off, I don't know if you have a 2 speed pump that's running the heater, or a small circ pump as sundance has used both. If you have a small circ pump, and it's not coming on, then that will trigger the dashes on the topside and immediately shut the system down. The dashes are a very generic error code and can also mean a bad temp or high limit sensor. Those can be tested with a meter set on ohms and they both should read within 1k of each other with water in the tub. Yes, it can also be a short in the main motor, but we'd need to put a clamp on amp meter on the wiring to the motor to see what it's pulling when it starts momentarily. I only ask for the pictures as even if I throw out all of the testing information, most people still have no idea where or what to test unless I can see it and point them to it, otherwise it's all jibberish to most people. Yes, go ahead and try unplugging the pump that's stopping, but if it is a 2 speed pump and it's feeding the heater, then you're not going to get heat either. If it has a small circ pump for the heater, then we need to see if it's getting power to it as well.

And i'm sorry about asking question, but when I'm not sitting right in front of a spa working on it, it's like troubleshooting with a blind fold on, so asking questions is the only way to troubleshoot from this end. Unfortunately there's not very often a solve all answer I can throw out there and fix the problem, it always will involve questions and answers from both ends of the conversation. Thanks, Jeff

Justchecking in to see if any of that info got us any further on troubleshooting the issue. Thanks, jeff

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Jeff, here is the first of photo of sundance spa
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
control panel of spa
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
motor
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
recirculating pump
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Main pump - I tried disconnecting at the control panel, each motor separately, then turned on power to see wha happens, got nothing with each try. I did first the main pump, then pump # ***** then circulating pump, then ozone pump. nothing happened with each disconnected. not sure where to go from here
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Jeff, no feedback on the photos and information I sent? was hoping to hear something from you.
Thank you,
Peter

Ok, at this point we need to test the sensors to make sure they're not the problem. You'll need to test both the temp and high limit sensors with the meter set on ohms and let me know what they both read, aswell as the current water temperature of the spa when you test the sensors. I don't see a picture of the inside of the control box with the circuit board, so I can't really point out the sensors to you yet.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Jeff, Ok, need to know how to test sensors with Ohm meter - here is another picture of inside of control box

Ok, sensor harness is at the top of the picture where the board says sensors. Flip the two grey locks out to the right and left to unlock the harness from the board. One of the 3 sensor wires goes to the pressure or flow switch, we don't need that one tested just yet. Follow the other two grey wires out of the box so we know which one is which. The one that goes to the heater is the high limit sensor, the one that goes over into a tube towards the filter chamber is the temp sensor. Once you've identified them, hold the harness in your hand, meter on ohms, touch the two test leads to the black and red going to the temp sensor and record the resistance, then do the same for the high limit, then we need to know the temp of the water. With those three pieces of info, I can tell you if they're reading correctly.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Jeff, ok, thanks for the info, I will test them and let you know the readings. for both

Just following up with you to see if we had found out any further information. Just let me know. thanks, jeff