poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

We have a hydro spa tub that is about 10 years old. A

Customer Question

Customer: We have a hydro spa tub that is about 10 years old. A transformer arc on the power line damaged the circuit board, heating element, and pressure switch. These were all replaced.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The panel says FLO which we know is an issue with the pressure switch. This has been replaced and it is properly adjusted. If you turn off the main breaker and reset it will work for one cycle (heat up to 100 degrees) and then once temp demand is met it will give the same FLO code on the panel and not work again. The high limit and temp sensors have been checked and ohm out where they should as well. The circulation pump has been changed as well.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pool and Spa Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I am willing to wait a little bit.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have the model number and serial number if that helps as well.
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 11 months ago.

Ok, if it heats up and then gives you the flow error after resetting the breaker then that means the pressure switch is stuck closed. Normally the switches are preset when you buy them. No one changed the adjustment on the new pressure switch sis they? What we need to do is turn off the power, disconnect both wires from the switch, then put a meter on ohms or continuity and see if the switch still has continuity even when the pump isn't running and let me know. Thanks, jeff

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Our Spa tech has extra switches and he has put three on to rule out the pressure switch. Each one does the same thing. He is not adjusting the switches. I will have him check continuity but I am sure he has already done so. I will try to get a hold of him now.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
IT is not showing continuity with the tub shut down. Once the tub fires up there is no continuity across the switch either. The switch will not close. The tub has good pressure across the jets.

Alright, if it isn't closing either, even when the pump is on, and you're sure your flow is good, then he's going to need to adjust the switch on the spa so that it's opening with no pump running, and closing when the pump is running. If the circuit board doesn't detect both an opening and closing of the switch, it will never stop giving you the error message. He'll have to attach a meter to the switch and calibrate it while the spa is running.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The tech has tried to adjust switch with the unit running and with a meter. The spa will come on and run and heat for one cycle. Let's say someone turns the heat up to 102. The unit will kick on the circ pump but the FLO code comes right back and the heat will not kick on (we know it is designed to do this). We are at a loss on what to do next really.

Can you post me a picture of some of the equipment area, including one of the circuit board and the surrounding equipment. The main issue we have here is that the pressure switch isn't even closing. So for that to happen, either he isn't testing it correctly, or you've got a valve stuck shut somewhere, something somewhere is restricting the water flow. I could figure it out quickly if I was sitting in front of it, but I'll need to see what we've got going on with some pictures hopefully. Pressure switches can be adjusted down to close circuit with virtually no water flow if you lower the setting down low enough. If he's tried that and the switch still wont' close, then I need to see what we've got going on. Thanks, Jeff

The question was still showing as open on my end as I hadn't heard back from you since the last post I sent. If you still need help, I'm happy to do so, if you've got it resolved, please rate me on your end to close out the question. Thanks so much, Jeff