Billy
Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers
12672042

I have a Rheem pool heat pump that I can use spa or pool.

Customer Question

Good afternoon, I have a Rheem pool heat pump that I can use for the spa or pool. When I turn it on the heat pump will come on, all indicator lights ilght, ( Heat demand, water pressure.) the compressor will run for about 2 minutes and then shut off, the fan continues to run..After a few minutes the compressor will try to come back on. Sometimes it will for a few minutes and recycle, other times it will struggle to come on..When it is on the discharge air temp. is cooler than the outside air..It has been on all day, 8 hours and cannot feel any difference in the spa water temp. I have the spa water temp. at 103deg. The outside air temp. is 70 deg. the spa temp. is 70 deg. The pool water 66 deg. 4 deg. in 8 hrs..Not good...Thanks for your assistance..Ron Silinsky
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 12 months ago.

Unfortunately in the short cycle situation there is not much you can do unless you have refrigerant gages. You are likely tripping off on either low pressure or high pressure but we do not know until pressure is checked.

Low pressure could be loss of freon.

High pressure could be plugged exchanger.

Without gages all you can do is wash the exterior coils, make sure good water flow through unit.

I know you would like a better answer, but I would need pressures to start to narrow down. Do you have gages?