poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

I have a Hawkeye tub with Gecko controls that is about 15

Customer Question

I have a Hawkeye tub with Gecko controls that is about 15 years old. I have a problem with a persistent HL code. The code occurs when the tub reaches the set temperature.
I have replaced the high limit sensor and removed the filter cartridge. I checked the resistance of the new sensor and it reads the same as the temperature sensor. Occasionally the system functions normally but never for more than 24 hours or so.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Was anything in particular done before this issue started? Any pumps replaced or anything like that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the filter cartridge and replaced the hi limit temp. sensor. ii checked the resistance of the new hi limit sensor and also the temperature sensor and they both had similar resistance at the sma water temp.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you getting my responses?
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, sorry for the delay, I'm on and off the computer during the day so I won't always be available right when you post back. And the problem started After you had replaced them, or before? Also, when you're getting the HL code, is the tub or the heater assembly itself actually overheating, or are they at normal temperature and just showing the HL code like it THINKS it's overheating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tub is not overheating. The HL code is triggered when the tub reaches set temp, disabling the heater. Once the HL code is triggered, the cools until restarted - Except that 10% of the time the tub cycles on and off and maintains temp normally for 6 hours or so.
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like your pressure switch might be sticking closed momentarily after the pump turns off, which will keep the heater engaged causing the heater tube to overheat quickly. The only way to test this is you'd have to be sitting there when the spa reaches temperature or unplug the pump from the pack during the heating cycle and see if the heater stays engaged, usually you'll hear the water start to pop and boil in the heater tube if that's what it's doing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pressure switch is adjustable - would that be a possible cure? How would I adjust it?
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

You normally need to hook a meter up to it so you can tell when it's opening and closing. . The adjustment is almost always on the top center of it. Most are adjustable with a screwdriver, but I'd need to seea picture of it to tell for sure. And I wouldn't adjust it at all until we confirm that's what's happening with the over heat conditions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so I unplug the pump while the tub is heating and listen for the sizzle - should this also trigger the HL code?
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Well, if the pressure switch is working correctly, the heater should turn off the second you pull the plug, so no. Now if the switch is sticking, then yes, it would overheat and trip the HL immediately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I pulled the plug on pump#1 and the heater shut off immediately and I get a FLO code.
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

ok, then that rules out the pressure switch as the problem, unless it's just sticking randomly, but the only way to determine that would be to sit in front of the spa pack until it reaches temp and see if the heater still stays on long enough to overheat, but that could be a hit and miss proposal since you said it doesn't do it all the time. Random acts like what you're experiencing can be tough to isolate until it does it every single time. You could try replacing the pressure switch with the assumption that it's sticking sometimes, but we'd still be guessing . With a high limit sensor already installed, we're down to either the circuit board showing a HL trip when there's really on over heat condition, or the pressure switch is sticking just sometimes. I would try the pressure switch before replacing the board as that's the least expensive repair at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pressure switch is less than a month old. It is the type with a thumb wheel to adjust the cut off point. Would adjusting lessen the chance of it sticking? Higher or lower?
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, I never saw your last post until just today, you really shouldn't need to adjust the pressure switch, but if so, you'd want to adjust it for less pressure, but in doing so, it needs to be checked with a meter to make sure it's still opening up when the pump is turned off. I would be curious to see what it ended up being if you had narrowed it down. If you still need help, just let me know, if not, if you could rate me on your end to close out the question, that would be great. Still around if you need more help though, thanks, Jeff