garrygoeson
garrygoeson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 27 years Repairing Pool & Spa Equipment,Gas Heaters,& Whirlpool Bath Tubs. Certified by many Pool & Spa Manufacturers.
64048604

IDK 1997 soverign not heating, no "heater on" light on IQ

Customer Question

IDK 1997 soverign not heating, no "heater on" light on IQ 2000 panel. replaced heater. circulating pump runs for 30 seconds then shuts off -Does not appear to be moving water. possible air lock? wouldn't heater still heat?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 1 year ago.

Hi:

My name is Garry. I'll be glad to assist you with your spa.

There may be a possibility you could have an air lock in the circulation pump. The heater will NOT operate unless the circ. pump is running and moving water through the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my understanding was that the high limit sensor would trip it off. It never gets warm to the touch and the red heater on light light never comes on. I also ran it for an hour with no filter in place. Is this situation consistent an with air lock in the circulator?
Also when I first filled it and powered it up, the circulator (or something) whistled loudly until I turned on the jet pump, then stopped. After 30-40 seconds the circulator stops then starts after a while and repeats that pattern. Thanks

Try to bleed the air out of the circulation pump, and then see if it will run continuously and move water through the heater. It is designed to NOT heat without the circulation pump moving water through the heater and returning it to the spa.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Circulator is free of air and running normally, I can see by the turbulance above the outlet in the bottom of the spa. Still no heat and no "heat on"light on the control panel. I'm considering the sensor on the heater inlet could be bad. any other ideas?

First, measure the voltage at the 2 heater terminals on the board. If your spa is connected to a 220 volt dedicated line, you should read 220 volts Ac at the heater terminals. If you are reading zero volts at these terminals, let me know and we can troubleshoot the circuit from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read 49-50 V

In most cases, if there is a problem with the Temperature sensor, the "Ready" indicator light on the control panel will be blinking.

The manufacturer give the Temperature and Hi-limit Sensors a life span of 6 to 8 years, so if they have never been replaced, it is possible they could be faulty. Here is a method for testing the Temp. Sensor:

1) Set your ohm meter on the 20K scale.

2) Record the temperature of the spa water with a reliable thermometer.

3) Unplug the Temp Sensor from the Control Box.

4) Place your meter leads across the two Temp Sensor leads and record the reading.

Give me the water temperature reading and the resistance reading of the Temp Sensor, and I can compare it to a chart to tell you if the sensor is working.

Please post your findings here at your convenience. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
14.83 at 70 degrees F

If your resistance reading is 14.83 x K Ohms, according to my chart the temperature is off by approx. nine degrees. If you are going to replace the sensors, it's advised to replace the Temperature Sensor and the Hi-limit Sensor at the same time