poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

I just replaced the locking on Hayward C1200 cartridge

Customer Question

I just replaced the locking nut on Hayward C1200 cartridge filter but cannot get the lid back on. The lid does not make a seal anymore- seems that the brass fitting is too long but is the same size as the original. I replaced it because the threads in the old brass fitting were nearly stripped and the pressure blew the top off a couple days ago...
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I canthink of is the threads in the old lock brass fitting were stripped about half way into the fitting so the tie rod went deeper into the fitting before, which allowed the lid to come down further. I can't even get the o ring on the lid into the main boder of the filter container.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also tried using a pipe wrench to tighten the tie rod into the base of the cartridge body but it only turned a half turn. Threads on the top of tie rod look good.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

an inch is a lot of wiggle room......do you remember it being that much before?........could it be when it blew the top that it dislodged and stripped from the bottom threads? also could it have resulted in losing the top gasket or an inner part like the element guide?.......can you with that same pipe wrench unscrew the tie rod it and examine it.......but please make sure you will be able to get it back....let me know

thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

there are two locking nuts for these filters one is longer than the other ......are you sure you have the right one ? you'll want part number cx900g