poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

The Jacuzzi Select (around 2000 vintage) has two motors. One

Customer Question

The Jacuzzi Select (around 2000 vintage) has two motors. One is the low speed that is turned on automatically to circulate water periodically and maintain the temperature setting. The second motor is used to increase the jet pressure while in the spa. The low speed motor works and is turned on periodically now but there is no water movement. I removed the motor and looked at the impeller that creates the pumping function of the pump/motor assembly. The motor spins and the impeller is attached to the motor shaft so the pump should work. When I re-assembled everything I still had the same problem: the motor spins but there is no water circulation which also means that there is no water passing through the heater. What could cause the lack of water movement if the motor is spinning when called upon to circulate?
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to tell you that the high speed motor also works and when I push the touchpad button to turn it on the jets all come on at the usual high speed pressure, the water circulates, and the water temperature rises to the programmed temperature.
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 1 year ago.

When you have a spa with two pumps the first pump is a two speed pump low and high the second pump is one speed high only. If we are talking only about pump one then you should have low speed for circulation and heat and if you press the pump one button it should go to high speed. You stated that in low speed you have no water flow but in high speed you do.

Now some spas have only ONE pressure pump and one circulation tiny pump and this is what I think you mean. It sounds like the circulation pump has either an air lock in it which is an air pocket in the pump housing and you may need to loosen the suction part of that circ pump to bleed any air out. Now it is possible that the motor is turning on but the shaft is not spinning in which case you will need to replace the circ pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did remove and check the motor and the shaft is spinning. The pump impeller is attached to the shaft and it is spinning as well. It sounds like your air lock suggestion may do it. Do I just loosen the four bolts until water leaks out of the pump attached to the motor and re-tighten them? Sounds too easy.

In most cases you can just loosen the union on the front of the pump, in some cases there is stubbing going to the front of the pump and that tubing is clamped on to the pump just loosen clamp and allow a little water. To leak out for a few seconds then reconnect and turn the breaker back on and let spa boot back up and you should be good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This one does not have the tubing going to the front of the pump. I loosened the union on the front of the pump, turned the breaker back on, and there is still no water circulation.

Did water leak out from the union when you loosened it? If the pump is running and the shaft and impeller are turning and there is no air lock then it has to pull water. Can you take a picture of the pump and the water level in the spa and post it here so I can see.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
water leaked out from the union when I loosened it. The water level is full. The water is about 4" from the top of the hot tub. All jets are under water. All water intakes are under water.

I see you have two slice valves on the pump. I have seen where these slice valves fail and the internal part of the valve does not open even though you pull up or out on the handle. If the valve on the top part of the pump is closed no water can get out of the pump, also if the suction one is staying closed then no water is getting into the pump. The only way to check this is to drain the spa remove the unions and look inside the plumbing line and be sure that the valve gate inside is completely open or up. I think the suction one may be damaged.