poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

My masterspa is not priming when started. Also the

Customer Question

Hi my masterspa is not priming when started. Also the circulating pump is not running till I get the temperature correct, and only works I I press pump 1 or pump 3, but stops after a while
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Most master spas have a single smaller pump that just runs the heater. Can you snap me a picture of the inside of the cabinet so I can guide you through some troubleshooting. Thanks, jeff

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the pump there in the front right that says circ master is your heater pump, it's also the one that causes tge pr on your display. Is that pump running, hot to the touch, or any indication that is getting power to it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
runs but only when I press therapy 1 or therapy 3 on the control panel. It does not run automatically to reach the temperature
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Ok, but therapy 1 and therapy 3 should be two other separate pumps, that's not a therapy pump there in the front, it's only for heating. You can see the shaft of that pump right in between the motor and black plastic, I need you to watch that shaft when you hit all the buttons and see if it spins at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the shaft runs but only when I hit therapy 1 and 3, not on not on therapy 2. Awkward is that my jets only work at therapy 2, 1 and 3 have no jets working. When I press 1 and 3 only the circ pump works
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Ok, looking at your spa pack, it looks like on the right hand side of the box, that you have several phone style chords coming into the box, if there's more than one, then it usually means you have more than one topside touch pad. If you can isolate them, I'd like you to unplug the chords that do NOT go to your main topside panel. So we want only the main touch pad plugged in on the right side. Once that is done, turn the power back on and let me know if it acts any differently.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I turn off the tub, disconnected 2 phone jacks and left only the main panel, turn on the tub and we still on the same. The panel says "priming mode takes about 4 minutes" but the circ pimp does not run unles I press therapy 1 or 3
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Ok, before we decide it's a problem with the circuit board, was anything at all done right before all of this started ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything was working perfectly, out of a sudden was not working anymore
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

well, under no circumstances should the topside ever be turning on the circ pump by hitting therapy 1 or 3, those are totally for jet functions, so at this point, since we've ruled out the remote panel as an issue, and we know the circ pump does function, so it's not the pump itself, we're down to the main circuit board as the only possible problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a fix for it or do I have to replace it? Is there any way to run the tub, the way it is, till I get the temperature I want? I mean can I jump differently?
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

It's definitely easier for me to look at other options when I'm sitting in front of the spa pack, but yes, generally I would just replace the circuit board, but also, you'd need to check the voltage label on the circ pump first, if it's , let's say 240 volt, then you'd need to check the voltage on one of your other plug ins on the left side that are actually working, like therapy one , two or three, if one of those is also 240 volts, you could unplug one of them, then plug your circ pump plug into that receptacle. It will run off of the same voltage and might activate the heater as well. The problem is that all jet pumps are factory set on the board to only run for 26 minutes or so before shutting off automatically, so that still may be an issue. It won't hurt to try switching pump plugs around as long as you verify that both are the same voltage requirements.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will try that. If nothing happens I'll replace the board. Thank you
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

not a problem, let me know how it goes, I'm always curious, thanks, Jeff