poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

I was cleaning my Hottub and a small nickle size piece of

Customer Question

Hi there. I was cleaning my Hottub and a small nickle size piece of hard plastic got sucked up without the filter in place. Should I be worried about this?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Well it would ultimately end up inside your circulation pump that runs the heater if it goes through all the lines that far. If it does make it that far then it wound be easily removed by loosening the union on the front of that pump and removing it. If it gets that far and lodges in the impeller in the pump, it can slow down water flow and cause a flo error and the heater will turn off. If it makes it to the impeller, you'll hear it rattling around in there. Just let me know, I'll be happy to help out if you still need it. Thanks, jeff

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jeff. I'm fairly familiar with the anatomy of my hottub and how I would go about getting the piece out of the plumbing. I guess what I am asking is whether you think a piece of that size is a major threat to breaking anything. Or will it more likely just run its way through the the system and get stuck in a jet?
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Ok that's good. No, there's no way for it to make it to a jet body because the suction lines all go directly to a pump suction, and there's absolutely no way it could pass through a pump impeller to get on out to a jet orifice. So if it goes anywhere at all, it will be in the pump wet end and then stop there. The piping between the suction it went into and the pump wet end is most likely 2" plumbing, so something that small should end up in the pump pretty quickly. The only thing it might break would be the pump impeller if it wedges in there and locks the impeller from turning, then the impeller would snap off if the pump shaft.