Billy
Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers
12672042

Having the same problem as

Customer Question

Having the same problem as http://www.justanswer.com/pool-and-spa/87uk9-2003-caldera-spa-switching-on-appears-start-correctly.html#re.v/149/
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

hello,

does board have any condensation, white marks around solder joints or any sign of minimal corrosion?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No everything looks good.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

the 4 dashes are of course a watchdog safety....something has either tripped the high limit (too hot) or you have a bad board. The board can react differently if damp, cool, hot etc.

Have you noticed a change in operation that correlates with temp/weather conditions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not really. Before this used to happen every two or three days until I replace the sensor and switch now it is every 7-10 days so it has been hard to correlate an external event to the dashes appearing. I has seen some posts referencing the heater itself possible to be the cause of it even if it is working. Something about corrosion building up inside the heater. Next time I have the cover off I was going to test in the resistance across the heater wiring. Is this something you think I should pursue, could it cause this issue?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

the scaling of the heater impedes the heat to water contact. Yes there could be a heater issue..or something like scale blocking somewhere.

Even a filter that looks clean but is body oil laden can restrict proper flow resulting in a overheat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The filter is new and the problem occurs with the filter removed. How do I check the heater?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

you can ohm the heater element...usually 10-20 ohms shows acceptable range

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do that tomorrow
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

terrific...just keep this on your end until ready

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
14 ohms across the black and white heater wires.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

That is within normal range...that would leave a finicky board or poor connection somewhere.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Caldera parts depot has main control boards for $288. That is a lot of money to drop without confirming a bad board. Is there any other testing that can be done? Do I need to replace the control panel also?