garrygoeson
garrygoeson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 27 years Repairing Pool & Spa Equipment,Gas Heaters,& Whirlpool Bath Tubs. Certified by many Pool & Spa Manufacturers.
64048604

1994 Sundance cameo spa just installed both motors with new

Customer Question

1994 Sundance cameo spa just installed both motors with new wet ends. Powered on circulating pump then powered on air and 30amp fuse blew in control box.
Put new fuse in and as soon as I flip main Gcfi breaker the fuse blows.
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When circulating pump powered on it ran a while then when powering on air it ran 30 seconds or so blew debris out of lines into tub then blew fuse.
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 1 year ago.

Hi

My name is Garry. I'll be glad to assist you with your spa.

The Air Blower is plumbed directly to a channel in the spa containing water. Some where in the plumbing line between the Air Blower and the channel, there is a check valve. Over time, I have seen the check valve's fail, and because of this, water will now get into the blower motor and short the motor out.

An easy way to check for this is to remove the plumbing connection at the point where it connects to the Air Blower and see if water is inside it. If you find water in the motor you will need to replace it, and install a new check valve. You can also disconnect the Air Blower from the spa, and then check if the breaker no longer trips, confirming the cause is from a faulty Air Blower motor.

Please let me know what you find. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected Power to blower in the control panel cutting power off to blower and the spa is working. Later today I will pull the blower to see if water is in it. Can the new check valve be positioned any where on the line from the blower? I'm thinking I can just leave the malfunctioning check valve alone and place a new one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your diagnosis seems to be accurate won't know for sure till I check the blower for water.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Garry.I traced the central pipe from the blower and it makes several loops and as far as I can see I can't see a check valve. I did not disconnect blower.However I had motor running on circulate pump all night water also heated to 104. and when I hit jets the fuse in control panel blows.I can replace fuse and water will circulate but when I turn jets on it runs 10-15 seconds and blows fuse in control panel.Any ideas. Pumps are new and wired according to specs. Two speed pumps.Thanks Gary

In response to you previous post, (20Oct2015,2:53 AM), you can put a check valve in the line before the blower without removing the existing one, but you first want to check the bower motor for any water present. If there is no water in the blower, then the check valve is probably OK.

Are you now having the fuse blow with out the blower running, but only the jet pumps running??? I'm a bit confused.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats right. The fuse blows when I turn the jets on, however it does not blow when it is just circulating, only when I hit jets on on hi on display panel. The blower is disconnected.

The fuse is usually,(but not always), an indication that the jet pump motor is drawing too much current, and will need to be replaced. I have also found that there could be a problem with a loose connection(s) on the board, corrosion on the board, or even the fuse holder may be loose. Examine the board and it's connections carefully, to see if there is any thing obvious that may fit the scenario I described