Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  i have been doing plumbing work for 20 years with alot of experience in service work
64367226

I have a Dimension One Latitude series Spa. The lighting

Customer Question

I have a Dimension One Latitude series Spa. The lighting suddenly does not work, none of the lights come on when I press the light icon on the control panel. The icon lights up on the control pad but nothing else. I have pulled off the access panel and opened the electrical box and looked at the Schematic, hoping to find a "lighting" fuse. I think I found a small fuse on the top right of the electrical box and removed this fuse. Ut has stamped on it " 250v 2a ". I am far from an electrician, but this fuse has a thin metal wire inside that is not burnt or severed. Any suggestions ? Thank You very much !!
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Do you have a multi-meter and are you familiar with testing voltages? Are you also familiar where to find the circuit board? Will you check for voltage there on the connector where the lighting connects to the board and check that the connector has not come loose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,
Thank you for your time w me. I do not have a multi-meter, but based on the electrical schematic I located 2 wires labeled lighting. They have metal slot connectors and I checked that they are all the way and snug fit. There was a small 250Vac 2a fuse that I "assumed" may be for the lights. I removed it and the filament was not broken, but went and got new fuse anyway and replaced. I put power back on 220 volt and tried light switch on control panel but no change. This Spa is only 2 years old.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I see. It could be various things. The only way to confirm what the issue is would be with some voltage testing. I think we can narrow it down a bit with some educated guessing. One fault may be the top side control is faulty. If the control looks like it has a bit of fogginess to the display then that would be an indicator. Check the cable on the control and also check all of the connectors on the circuit board. Sometimes the vibrations will loosen an already loose connector. Still typing.......

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Most of the educated guessing will be focused on loose connections considering the age and also that the top side control seems to operate just fine. The light indicator lights up but no lights. The next it may be is a loose connection on the wiring harness for the lighting itself. That would be the next place to check for a loose connection. If the harness is intact then it could be that the bulb or bulbs are burnt out. Once you have checked for any loose connections and it still does not solve the problem then the voltage testing will be the only way to confirm for sure. Still typing......

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did follow the one wire from the underside of the control press button pad down into the electrical box. I saw no corrosion or frayed wires, and the wires inside the sole conduit went to various connections inside the box and they were tight. All other buttons on that control push pad work ok. There is a + and - button for temp, also 2 other buttons forJet 1 and Jet 2, and then the button for the lights.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Alright, well check for any loose connections at the specific areas mentioned. It may not even be a bad idea to turn the power off and unplug and plug back in each connector one at a time on the circuit board. Be sure to wait at least 30 minutes to allow the capacitors of the board to expel the power stored. Do you think that if any of this does not work you will be able to test for voltages or is testing for voltages a little out of your comfort level?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are approx 7-8 indiv lights spread around the tub. One day they worked, then next time ALL of them did not light up. This is why I have no doubt that all bulbs failed together. Now it is dark so I will look at it again tomorrow . Can we continue next time you are free ? I realize it is the weekend so I guess reply or send when u are free and I will try what you tell me to ... Thx again very much
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. You reply whenever convenient. I will reply back in between hockey practices and eating with the dog and walking the in-laws.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have never used one so will not know what I am looking at. I will work on trying and re-trying the other suggestions. I am not even sure that I have located the correct fuse that is for the lighting. It was right next to the wires marked lights, so I assumed. This is the smallest fuse in the box- all others are larger and not clear fuses. There are about 4-5 other fuses inside the box.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Well, you can also test the fuses with the multi-meter. It is much safer that testing for voltage. If you have never used a meter before then I would suggest using an analog mult-meter. The digital is quite confusing when it starts showing all of the numbers all over the place. The analog just has a needle that moves and is very clear what is happening. You can set the multimeter to OHMS and test the continuity on each fuse quite easily with the power off. Some even beep when you get continuity. You could test all of the fuses in about 5 minutes. Set the meter to beep when you have continuity and test that you have the right setting by touching the probes together. It beeps then you have the correct setting. Touch the probes to each end of each fuse and it beeps it is good.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

There are very small solder joints on the circuit board that will crack and lose connection. These solder joints are called cold solder joints and mostly cannot be determined by the naked eye. It is very common for circuit boards to go bad because of these cold solder joints. This is the worst case scenario and often the manufacturer will provide a replacement for free if you complain just kindly enough considering that the spa is only 2 years old.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I strongly suspect the circuit board myself. I would say that there is about a 40% chance that is it if I were to scientifically educated guess the issue.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I would like to assume that the information was helpful but would very much like some confirmation from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been traveling on business the last 3 weeks straight. Regretably, the lights not operating in my Spa is not at the top of my To Do List. Please stop your company from sending 2-3 emails / Day ... This is a "Work" Email. Thank You for your understanding and cooperation. I will get back to this issue when I have some Time to address ....
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I only responded with accurate information relating to the question you posted. It is my job to try to provide as much accurate information as possible and when I offer this information often the customer will continue communication or positively rate my service for a job well done. I am sorry that the responses are going to your work email and I really have no control over that. The question may time out before you have time to respond again. If you choose to close this question out then possibly you could open your next question on a non-work email account to prevent any nuisance at work?