Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a 3 or 4 year old hayward H series pool heater. After

Customer Question

I have a 3 or 4 year old hayward H series pool heater. After it runs for 7 or 8 hours it begins to leak. It appears to leak on the inside of the heater and out the bottom. I can not see where it comes from. Is it possible something in the" black tube " on the inlet side need changed? Thanks, Bill
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It could be the large o-ring where the header connects to the heat exchanger. Or If it's leaking inside the unit then you could have a flaw in the heat exchanger. You need to shut it down as soon as it stops leaking then tear the unit down until you find the source of the leak. I assume you mean the nipples that connect to the header when you reference the "black tube". That's another possibility but I wouldn't expect them to leak inside the unit

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would think if it were an O ring or a flaw in the heat exchanger it would leak all the time. This does so after the unit quits heating and is just circulating water.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Speculating on the cause doesn't really help. It could be a flaw that only opens up enough to leak when it heats up and expands. I've detailed the most likely and about the only places it could leak aside from the header itself. Now you need to find the leak.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

There's also a chance one of the sensor wells or plugs in the header is leaking. Leaks from these are pretty easy to fix and should be fairly easy to spot once you remove the top of the jacket