Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Hayward above ground 1000 btu natural gas

Customer Question

I have a Hayward above ground 1000 btu natural gas heater--will not stayed lit. done some on line trouble shooting and replaced the igniter board- and not the igniter itself--It's still doing the same thing--cycling on and off and not staying lit--now what do I need to look at ???
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What is the model number of your unit? What are you getting for an error message? How long is it staying lit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hayward H1001D1 --there is no error message on this unit--it is a 100,000btu above ground induced draft natural gas--sorry I had said it was 1000btu
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

How long is it staying lit? do you have a multi-meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it fires off and stays lit for about 5-10 sec then cuts off for about 5-10sec and relights and repeats--cutting the system off to reset has no effect--the new igniter module that I replaced acts like the old one--could it be the igniter?????
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

What you describe sounds like a flame sensing issue. Since the igniter also doubles as the flame sensor you could have a bad connection on the lead to the igniter or the igniter could be faulty. The flame sensing function generate a very low electrical current (mirco amps) so if the connections aren't perfect it can fial to detect a flame when there actually is one.