Billy
Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers
12672042

I just recently purchased a Hot Sprins spa second hand.

Customer Question

Hi. I just recently purchased a Hot Sprins spa second hand.
Before I picked up the spa from the Gentleman's house, he had left the water in and had the spa on to show me everything was working fine. when I got home we cleaned the spa with methylated spirits and filled it up with water and everything was working fine so then we emptied the water but we left the power switch on for about 4-5 hours with no water in the spa. When i got home and discovered this i switched it off and then filled the spa up with water again. 1 hour later we switched the spa back on and after a 30 seconds the red light starts flashing and the temperature button and the jet button doesnt work, nothing works. so I switched off the power again and then put it back on and I quickly press the temperature button up or down then I press the jet button and everything works but as soon as I switch off the jets the spa shut down and nothing works and the red light starts flashing again. So i switch off the spa again
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wrote more than what I can see here...can you please tell me the last sentence you can see?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I switch the spa off again I leave it off over night then 10am this morning I switched it back on and didn't touch no buttons. The red light was on constantly. At 3pm with the red light still constantly on i go to check the water temperature and I have no lid on the spa as it didn't come with one but I checked the water with a thermometer and it was 24oC and today was very cold weather. I put the temperature up to 30oC and the red light stayed on constantly until 6pm that's when it started to flash again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I switched it back off. Read something about taking the 3 filters out and replacing only the caps back on so I tried this and switched it back on and the light stayed on for 30 sec or so. I have noticed also when the spa does shut down and the red light starts flashing I can hear before it shuts down a click sound then nothing works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just wrote it all again if you could see all this and it's double information now I'm sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By leaving the spa power on with no water in the spa for 4-5hrs I have damaged something but what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I feel the heater is most probably working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because of the time difference please just send your reply through messages here. Sorry was an accident pressing the call me button.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Try the following...

jet on 10 seconds...off 10 seconds....on 10 sec...off 10 sec.....do that about a dozen times and then try. I want to see if you just have an airlock

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Billy
Did what you asked with the jets a dozen times on and off and still I hear a click sound before the spa shuts off and the red light starts flashing and I can't use any of the buttons cos nothing works. Next suggestion please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was listening carefully again and I hear a noise that sounds like an air conditioner starting to warm up so a sssssshhhhhhhhh sound and then a click sound and thats when the spa shut down. So maybe it is the heat element? Your thoughts please.
Don't forget I did leave the spa power on without any water in the spa for 4-5hrs so maybe I did burn the heat element. ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you check if the water is getting in the water pump for the heater to warm up the water? I'm asking this because I think the sound is the water pump heater trying to warm up but because there's no water it switches off like a power safety switch.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

it sounds like an overheat in heater....can you tell me if the main pump is running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I tell if main pump is running please?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

when turn on does water circulate

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello...help please