garrygoeson
garrygoeson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 27 years Repairing Pool & Spa Equipment,Gas Heaters,& Whirlpool Bath Tubs. Certified by many Pool & Spa Manufacturers.
64048604

I have a oasis jetsetter spa.. I put in a new circulation

Customer Question

I have a oasis jetsetter spa.. I put in a new circulation pump three years ago. A few days ago I emptied it to give it a good cleaning. Filled it babk up using the grey tube in in the one of the filter inlets and when I turned it on the power and ready lights were blinking and kept tripping the breaker. I thought Mayberry an airlock in the circulation pump so I disconnected both hoses from it and let water flow. Still tripped breaker after a few seconds. Disconnected the pump from the panel and the breaker no longer trips but the power and ready light still blink. Help!
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 1 year ago.

Hi

My name is Garry. I'll be glad to help with your spa.

If you disconnected the circulation pump, and the breaker stopped tripping, that could be because there may be a ground fault in the pump motor. If you somehow got water to get into the motor, you can try drying it out, then connect the pump again and see if it now works. If you did not get water into the pump motor, it just may require the pump to be replaced.

The blinking "Ready" and "Power light indicates a tripped safety component, and this will trip if the circulation pump is not running when you are trying to heat the spa. Getting the circ. pump to run should clear this fault.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only three years out of a circulation pump? (I do run it 24x7 though), Just seemed a little coincidental it was running fine until I emptied it to clean it... I put the pump on an OHM meter and it read 160 (which I thought meant it was good..) not sure if that means anything

If you connect the pump to the terminals on the circuit board, and it trips the breaker, and all the other functions on the spa run, (i.e. jet pump, light etc.) then I can't find what else could be defective. You could try disconnecting the heater, and then connect the pump, and see if it still trips the breaker.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, if water has found it's way into the pump motor, then it could be grounding the motor out, which in turn will trip the ground fault protection built into the circuit breaker.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok , Ive had the pump in the house since I disconnected it, so perhaps it has dried out. I'll connect it one more time before I spend another $200 on another pump. I'll let you know what happens.

I'm Really hoping it will work!!! I'll wait for your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok installed the new circ pump..so the breaker no longer trips but the circ pump still not working. Main jets work fine but as soon as I turn them off ..red green lights blink together . What gives?....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Please give me the serial # ***** your spa. I will need this info to research it for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Gary,It is #JJ2J2095 also wanted to mention that I noticed that the small tube that comes from the "High output ozone system" had separated from the fitting because the fitting cracked off, it appears to connect to the out flow hose of the heater. I plugged the tube and sealed it off. Also wanted to mention that the water that comes out of the jets (Which works fine) seems have have a lot of air in it.. I'm not sure if it was always like that or something new.. Just thought Id mention it. ;/

Thank you for the serial #. While I'm researching this, are you able to put a voltmeter on the terminals to the circ pump, (at the board), and tell me if you are reading voltage, and if so what the voltage reading is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the spa plugged in or no?

Yes. Measure voltage with spa energized as though you're trying to heat to set temp. If you get a voltage reading tell me what it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put the multi meter on 200 AC.. Touched both terminals and it read like .8 then dropped to like .3, but this was while the red and green lights were blinking.. Which im thinking is the circut board cutting power to the pump no??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to have this resolved before it freezes.

With both probes on each terminal going to the circ. pump, you should read about 120 volts AC on your meter. The Ready and Power lights blinking is indicating there is a flow problem, which is to be expected if the circ. pump is not running. Trace the wiring on the board to see if there is an in-line fuse that may have blown. Some models have this and some don't, so you will need to check yours to see if there is a fuse there. You can also try removing power to the spa, talking out the filters, powering up again, and see if the circ. pump will now run.

Hi:

checking back to see if you found any resolution? Let me know.