Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

I have a 16x36 steel wall/vinyl pool with a spillover spa

Customer Question

I have a 16x36 steel wall/vinyl pool with a spillover spa and I am looking for winterizing techniques for the spa, including how to remove the spa jets so that I can plug them.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 1 year ago.

Most built in spas today use a specific type of jet insert. We need to figure out which ones you have and then purchase the proper removal tool, once you get the insert out you can use a standard rubber plug to winterize. If you look into the opening in most cases the jet internal will have a lock ring holding it in place and with a good pair of needle nose pliers you can rotate that lock nut and remove the jet internal bu you might need to drain the spa down so you can see inside the jet. here is a picture of one of the type jet inserts I am talking about.

http://www.poolpartsonline.com/watermark.axd?productid=24353&size=large

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will take a pic and submit it with the question. In the meantime, how do you recommend a spillover spa be winterized in the Northeast? Should I fill with water, or half fill? Any antifreeze?

If the spillover spa is fiberglass I would do 1/2 full and blow out normally just like the pool use good plugs to blow out the lines. As for the main drain in the spa you will need to drain out the spa and blow out the drain line and plug it, then in spring drain out again and un-plug drains. You want to have at least 1/2 the spa filled to keep the weight ratio correct so ground pressure does not pop the spa out of the ground. If the spa is vinyl you need it to be close to full.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I attached a pic of the jet. Please advise on the proper removal tool or technique? Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, can you tell what the appropriate rubber plug will be (what #). Thank you

This tool should do it.

http://www.aqua-man.com/row_num.asp?Ic=3336

I believe that size rubber plug is an 11 or 12