Billy
Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers
12672042

My 2014 Hot Springs Tempo spa is over heating. The vendor

Customer Question

My 2014 Hot Springs Tempo spa is over heating. The vendor replaced something in the heating circuitry, maybe a thermistor, but not sure. I added a lot of well water to it recently and it got a heavy calcium build up. This was before part was replaced. I have since drained, cleaned and refilled. Took a lot of pH down to lower alkalinity and pH. Both are lower, but still high. I've currently got a "Vanishing Act" pillow in spa to reduce calcium. Is it possible heating element is coated with calcium and causing it to overheat?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

usually overheating is a bad sensor. Generally a heater coated with calcium lacks heat. The problem is one of 2 items:

One is the temp sensor is defective.

Two is the control board the sensor reports to is bad.

Does the heater run nonstop or does it actually turn off finally but at a higher temp?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure, but I suspect it does not turn off. I set the temp at 95 but it registered 107. I checked the water temp with a digital instant read thermometer and it read 106.4. I then reduced the temp setting to 80 and the temp still reads 107. The instant read thermometer showed a water temperature of 105.9. Yesterday it actually went up to 115, but I had been running the jets full open most of the day while adding pH Down to lower the alkalinity and pH.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

wow...not good.

Do we know for sure what thermister was replaced? Part number or description?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't. I'm going to call the store I bought it from and schedule them to come back out, but I wanted to get a second opinion before I do. They're closed now but u could call them in the morning and see if u can find out. Would that be helpful or should I just schedule the service call?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Due to site rules you would have to contact them. I apologize.

I can tell you that this is the most critical failure that can happen safety wise...a service call is well warranted.

I really wish you the best.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** them in the morning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I meant to type that I could call them and see what part had been replaced and then get back to u, if u think that would help.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

yes it help to know what part was replaced

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll call and see if they can tell me.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

just respond when you can

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok hope you'll get my response. I wanna get a service call set up ASAP.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

any news yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting on call back from their service guy. Should I cut power off to unit?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Yes please....better to be safe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok still waiting on call back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Service guy said thermostat and control box were replaced. They don't have a clue. Going to call manufacturer (Watkins). He tried to tell me the water was hot because the air temp is hot (90 degrees). What a nut!