Billy
Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers
12672042

I think I have the same problem. Laars oil fired pool heater

Customer Question

Hello, I think I have the same problem. Laars oil fired pool heater that I can't find anyone to fix and they keep trying to sell me Propane heaters. Regular oil burner guy couldn't fix it . Any idea would help. Thanks
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

is there any indication of what could be wrong? Pump pressure, doesnt fire, fires but goes out?

use reply

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is electrical. I had an electrician here. It worked for about 10 minutes after he left. I think it may be some replacement of a control. He said he connected the wires but didn't know how long it would last. Called him back and he said I need a new heater. An oil burner guy couldn't get it going either before the electrician Seems to me some control replacement would work. I have a list of parts but don't know what to try. It is a discontinued Laars 350 BTU unit. All the parts are available. .
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Okr if electical....does the burner actually fire up with flame and then go out..or it never starts flame?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started up when the electrician was here but when off about 10 minutes after he left. The oil burner guy never got it fired up.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

first try priming the unit for fuel and tell me if we get fuel out of the prime port

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure the oil burner guy checked the fuel line.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

I apologize but I do not have the luxury of knowing what is or was done so I like to verify.

Have you tried to prime it yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would have to speak to the oil man to find out if he primed it.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

ok, we either fuel but no ignition...or we have ignition but no fuel.

Once I know which was missing we can continue quickly. I have over 20 years of working on these...they make great heat...and are not overly complicated