garrygoeson
garrygoeson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 27 years Repairing Pool & Spa Equipment,Gas Heaters,& Whirlpool Bath Tubs. Certified by many Pool & Spa Manufacturers.
64048604

I have a marin 2003 sundance spa, i got a cool message,

Customer Question

i have a marin 2003 sundance spa, i got a cool message, water temp read 74, i adjusted set point down from +4 to 103, heater started functioning to set point, then 12 hours later, set point is still 103 water temp is 93 and holding steady. tested leads from relays to heater there is no voltage even when heating function is active insofar as readout is concerned...are my relays shot? is there a way to test the relays? could it be a wonky sensor?
many thanks
jeff
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not necessary to call that got posted by accident
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jeff:

My name is Garry. I'll be glad to assist with your spa.

When the water temperature is 20 degrees or more below the set temperature, you will see "COOL" displayed on the screen. This is not a fault or error code. If the water temp is not rising above 93, with the set temp at 103, is there any other codes displayed?

If you are trying to measure voltage to the heater, you need to place one meter probe on one heater terminal and the other meter probe on the other heater terminal. When checking the heater element this way, you should read 240 volts. Please let me know what you find. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no voltage to heater, even when heating cycle is active on display. There are no other error messages, at this point I'm thinking of testing high limit resistance, what do you think is best way forward?

If the spa is calling for heat and set to 103, and it did heat to 93, there is a good chance the heater is working. Going forward, you could try to replace the temperature sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the method for testing temperature and high limit sensors?

You need to measure the sensor resistance on the 20k ohm scale, and then measure the water temp with a thermometer, and compare the 2 measurements to a chart. If you tell me the resistance, I can check the chart I have and tell you what temperature it should compare to.

Was my response to your request helpful?

Please send reply