Billy
Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers
12672042

I have a pentair minivolt 100 heater (lighthouse pools, the

Customer Question

I have a pentair minivolt 100 heater (lighthouse pools, the pilot is lit but burners will not light
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not a matter of the pillot not lighting the burners but rather gas not getting to the burners.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

did you replace the thermopile?

use reply

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm guessing this means you did not get the original paragraph I filled out concerning what had been replaced, what the voltages are with pilot on, what voltages change to with heater on?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

yu said you got a new thermocouple...not the thermopile.

Thermopile creates millivolts which 500 are needed. Thermocouple creates a magnetism to hold a coil open.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I guess I am not up on the proper terminology and intricacies between pool heater vs the in-house heater.So yes thermopile was replaced unless it has both a thermopile AND a thermocouple at which point I've no idea, but I guess that is why I'm paying for help. So assuming I replaced a thermopile, not a thermocouple and that I ordered it based on my lighthouse 100 parts list...am I likely to have gotten a bad thermopile or is the pilot just not heating it up enough?When cold it tends to head up slowly from maybe 150mv shortly after the pilot has been lit and climbs slowly but steadily upward, but does stop climbing right around 250mv
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

I have to ask because some valves have both...a thermocouple to hold pilot and a thermopile to work valve.

What you replaced,,,did it have a flexible braided wire with two wire inside with u shaped terminal ends? Or a stiff copper tube that scrwed into the valve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NJOYAI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FS9YC8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ANFMXO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VTH0EU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00Second link is likely of most interest - it is a thermopile as you describe
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

I am separating links...but which did you replace?

Here is what I am referring to. Part 071515

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Currently it has all those parts installed. the first there in round one, the valve later
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

and the part I sent link for? The thermopile part 071515?

Is that new

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
those links are all purchased and currently installed
this is the heater I have (millivolt version) http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/MiniMax100IG.pdf
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

if you yake the 2 terminals from the thermopile...and put one direct to TP and one direct to TH...NOT the TH/TP...does the unit start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't tried that one, will give it a shot tomorrow and report back. Should I disconnect the connectors going to TH?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That should have read ...Should I disconnect the connector on TH? Thereby leaving that portion open?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

TH/TP is a dummy terminal just to connect wires...the TH and TP are the coil terminals...we want the 2 terminals from thermopile one on TH and one on TP...remove all others for test

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks,will try tomorrow evening and report back.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Just respond when you can

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Short answer = NO
try 1a>disconnected TH connections and connected thermopile across TP and TH
b>lit pilot and held for a good 60s, normally about 30 is fine
c>turned pilot to on
d>pilot went immediatelytry2 > repeated cycle above holding pilot on for over 2 minutes and metered with dc voltmeter
only got up to about .178v and again went immediately out when turning to ON position form PILOTtry 3 a>reconnected electrical to normal positions
b>held pilot for 30s and switched position to ON
c>pilot stayed lit
d left on for a while and metered across TP at .278vtry 4> repeated try1 with same results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry left out important word...outShort answer = NO pilot would not stay lit therefore burners would not ignitetry 1a>disconnected TH connections and connected thermopile across TP and TH
c>turned pilot to on
d>pilot flame went out immediatelytry2 > repeated cycle above holding pilot on for over 2 minutes and metered with dc voltmeter
c>pilot stayed lit
d> left on for a while and metered across TP at .278vtry 4> repeated try1 with same results