Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

I have a strong pools spa that I just replaced a motor and

Customer Question

I have a strong pools spa that I just replaced a motor and pump on after a few months of down time, it has a balboa control, problem is it powers up but neither of the pumps will run, no humming no nothing just clicking out of what sounds like relays, then it throws the dr code, I bled the system for air several times with same results, shut down power several times also, and it had also thrown the ohs code flashing. thanks for any help
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 1 year ago.

yes the dry code indicates that there is no water flow through heater housing and after a few minutes you will get an OH code because the water that is sitting in the heater is starting to overheat the only thing you can do is try bleeding the air out of each pump via the threaded union on the front of each pump also try running a garden hose on full blast down the filter suction hole for a few minutes to try and push the air through then turn breaker back on and see if water starts to flow. It is possible that the pump that sends water through the heater housing is bad and will not run.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both pumps are working fine we wired them direct to get them to push water through the system, and even bled another time, im getting a click out of the relays is all and neither pump will run, any other thoughts
OK so here is what I would do to test the pump power supply. First remove the plate on the back of the main pump to expose the wires, then have your volt meter ready and power up the spa and push the button for pump then test for voltage at the back of the pump if no voltage then the problem lies within the circuit board and you may need to replace the board since the relays are soldered on you would need to send the circuit board out for repairs and that is costly it may just be cheaper to buy a new circuit board. If you can access the relay on the board you can test for voltage out to the pumps there to determine if the relay is frozen. BE CAREFULL when working around a circuit that is live.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I have 110 or 220 volts to the pump? and again neither pump works, the relays just click
You need to read the label on the pump motor in most cases it is 220 but some are 110 but it will be clearly marked on the label of the pump motor what the voltage needed is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looks like I only have a hundred volts or so going to the pumps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any ideas, thanks
Well I would have to say then that the relay on the circuit board that controls the power out to pump is bad. If you tested the out voltage at the circuit board and you only get 100 then I would replace the board. If you tested voltage at the pump motor then check the pump cord as this could also be a culprit. I would most likely think it is the board.