Supes0
Supes0, Pump Repairman
Experience:  I have 18+ years of experience in the sales and repairs of water pumps.
52333636

We have a Jacuzzi j 330 it ran fine...I drained it because

Customer Question

hello, we have a Jacuzzi j 330 it ran fine...I drained it because the water smelled funny and I wanted to put fresh water in... I turned it off at the breaker and did not turn it back on until I had it refilled. the circulation pump runs for about 20 seconds till it restarts the whole hot tub again after a click.... the flow valve moves when it runs..
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have unhooked the circ pump... and the jet pump runs fine and does not restart with the 355...888...fl1 we have unhooked the flow valve, and the circ pump will run constant with out heat and does not restart the whole tub.... the flow valve seems to be running correctly...checked resistance with volt meter and that seems fine... there are 2 fuses and both are good...we also tried with filters in and filters out... it do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does not make a difference.... we did see the ol5 code come up too but only 2 out of 20 times both the circulation pump and the flow valve are new (within 6 months or less) it worked great till I drained it...
Expert:  Supes0 replied 1 year ago.

So, it doesn't reset when you don't use the heater? When you use the heater it resets? Did you check the heat element? Look for holes in it and check to see if it's shorted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you unhook the heater... it still shuts off and resets... if the flow valve is unhooked... it does not reset and both pumps run constant..we tested the flow valve with ohm meter and it seems to be working properly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the heater light does come on when it restarts...for only a second..
Expert:  Supes0 replied 1 year ago.
Is it a flow switch? It could still be the element. The flow switch tells the panel that water is flowing and it's OK to power the heater. If the switch is disabled, and the heater doesn't start, and the panel doesn't reset, it seems to point to a bad element.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
flow switch looks to be running properly, the two prongs come together with water flow and separate when it stops... it is only a month old.... is there a way to test the element? when should there be power to the element? after the switch is closed? sp we could know when to hook the volt meter and get the proper reading?
Expert:  Supes0 replied 1 year ago.
The element should have wires running to some connections on its housing (a stainless tube). Check for a short to ground at those connections. If it is shorted, you should be able to remove that tube and get the element out of it.
And yes, the element should only be powered when the flow switch is closed. That tells the panel that the element is in water and that it won't burn out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only thing on the tube is the high temp sensor, we checked resistance and they are not shorted... the heater element is a black box on the back of the control panel which the tube goes into...we checked resistance on that it is .11 ohms we checked for power at circuit board heater out connection with pump running and switch closed, and there was no voltage or heater display light
Expert:  Supes0 replied 1 year ago.
Here's a cutaway picture of a pretty standard spa heater.
http://uspartscenter.com/images/misc/flothru_heater.jpg
Does this look anything like what you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it doesn't... not even anything close... here is a link to like what it is on ours http://www.fortywinksonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=739
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is not shorted to ground... we checked the wires that come directly off of it...
Expert:  Supes0 replied 1 year ago.
Maybe if you know of a place local to you that has the element in stock, you can ask them to test the resistance between the leads and compare it to your results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no local Jacuzzi dealers that have a element in stock... and I r
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
realized I typed in the wrong resistance number... it is .01 not .11 on the element... I have no idea what to try next.... and we do not want to buy a ton of parts to try, as Jacuzzi parts are expensive unless we know it is gonna fix it... It though spending the $30 on this site would help give us some answers, but so far nothing is working... any other ideas?
Expert:  Supes0 replied 1 year ago.
Tomorrow, I'll call my supplier and ask if they have one to test.
Expert:  Supes0 replied 1 year ago.
01 ohms sounds like a short. That's a completely closed circuit.
Expert:  Supes0 replied 1 year ago.
The tech guys at my supplier concur with me that that's a shorted heater and would definitely cause the problem you describe. They said it should be between 9 and 14 ohms. .01 ohms is a dead short, its like grabbing the 2 live wires and touching them together.
Expert:  Supes0 replied 1 year ago.

I'm sure you didn't want to hear about a $250 problem, but if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have a question... is there supposed to be power to the heater output terminals on the board when the flow switch is closed. we unhooked the heater terminals and checked for power and there is none...the one marked heater out L looks a little dark and starting to question if it would possibly the heater or the circuit board?
Expert:  Supes0 replied 1 year ago.
Was that .01 ohm reading on the wires to the heater while they were disconnected, or while connected to the board?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to the wires to the heater... and while they were disconnected
Expert:  Supes0 replied 1 year ago.
That reading is pretty telling of a bad element, that's not to say that your board isn't bad as well. I see a lot of plugs on pumps with darkened insulation on the wires, it's due to heat. If you can access the board, take a close look at it and see if there's any dark spots on the board itself or if there's any obviously burned up parts soldered to it.
That .01 ohm reading is definitely bad though, if it was checked with the wires disconnected.
Expert:  Supes0 replied 1 year ago.

So, How goes the troubleshooting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we ordered the new heater and it just came in today... it has the same resistance value that the other one had... we installed it and currently filling hot tub, so we shall see what happens...
Expert:  Supes0 replied 1 year ago.
01 ohms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
011ohms
Expert:  Supes0 replied 1 year ago.
Well, let me know how it goes. From my own experience, and the the few people I called to try to confirm my own diagnosis, everything pointed to that element.