Billy
Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers
12672042

I just added a Hayward Echostar variable speed pump

Customer Question

I just added a Hayward Echostar variable speed pump (SP3400VSP) to my Jandy iaqualink rs8 rev R controller. Everything works except the RS 485 com link doesn't recognize the pump so I have to use the pump controller and manually turn it on and adjust the speed. I added a VSP touch using "position 2" as I think the heater is com 1 but I'm not sure it is set up correctly!
Thanks,
Fred
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
this is common when adding the variable speed pump.
We have basically off/on controls and add a variable signal. The current controls will not fully function with the variable speed (like intelliflow).
All you can do is have it turn off/on but adjustments to speed must be manually done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Billy, I have a youtube of attaching a Variable speed motor, the intelliflow as a matter of fact, by connecting the 220v which I did and using the com port (2 wire) to the com port 485 which is a four pin on the iaqualink and using pins 2 and 3 which is how the hookup is done. The com port determines the speed as I understand it. There is not a variable signal level used and one can also use relays per the hayward manual. please see attached file describing this. Thanks Fred
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Billy, is that it or can we have a quick call or will you respond that I don't think your answer is correct as I phoned Jandy and they told me it is possible.
Thanks Fred
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I missed your message and await the contact.