Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

I have a cal spa 2100 that won't turn on. I emptied it to

Customer Question

I have a cal spa 2100 that won't turn on. I emptied it to fix the leaking heater union downstream of the element.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean it keeps tripping breaker or do you mean power is there but topside is blank? If you can reset breaker then check the fuses on the circuit board they most likely are blown and just replace them and you should be fine. If spa is tripping breaker you need to isolate the item that is causing the trip most likely the heater itself. You would need to disconnect the power to the heater then power up spa if breaker stays on then the heater is bad and replace, continue this process with each component Pumps, Ozone, heater etc until you find the unit that is tripping breaker then replace it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The breaker isn't tripping. I power it on at the breaker and I get a "0" on the topside display and the safety suction LED glows. I've since disconnected the safety suction sensors from the main board without any effect. When I put the temp sensor/pressure sensor plug back into the main board after removing it, I hear a "click." I have two pumps, neither react to turning on power. The topside buttons do not respond to being pushed.The topside board is a P/N 33407-01 which looks to be the panel for the C2000. However, my main board is a 2100. They may be interchangeable, it was just something I noticed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking at the original question I posted and it looks like only part of it came through. I added a lot of detail about what I've already done to troubleshoot that isn't listed there. Are you able to see that somewhere else, or did it not reach you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?

Yes that is how Cal Spa did it, they have a C2000 topside with a 2100 board. I have had many issues with these 2100 boards I believe they are defective but that is just my opinion. I think you have a bad topside control unfortunately the only way to really tell is to have another to plug into board to check. I have seen these on e-bay pretty cheap used and you can buy one and plug it into circuit board and that should resolve the issue. Once you said that you get no response from the control panel I have to lean towards that. I would connect the safety suctions back to the board and jump the wires together if you have to as these boards are designed to have the safety suction switch enabled and without them the spa goes dead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was afraid of that. How particular is the board about which topside I use? can I use a 2100 topside or a 2000, or only a 2000? And if that isn't the issue do I then replace the main board? The main board looks to be rebuildable. Are there common problem areas on them to target first?

I'm so sorry my computer crashed the other day and I just got it back up. The easiest thing to do is to google the part number of the circuit board like 2100 and then in the google search bar type in Topside control for Balboa 2100 circuit board and it will give you all the options. I do not know for sure if this looks like yours you will need to confirm with the company you purchase it from the numbers off the printed circuit board like 2100R1A etc.

http://www.spacare.com/CalSpaTopsideControlSystem2000WithBacklightingELE09200520.aspx

You can emove the topside control and on the underside or attached to the cord there will be a part number and then google that number to get an exact replacement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm able to ID what topside panel I have now. I'm curious as to if I MUST match that one or if I can select from any of the various options identified as matching. It sounds like as long as it has the same plug and four buttons as mine I should be fine. The newer versions removed the safety suction warning light, but I'm convinced I can leave those sensors unplugged from the board without disrupting how it operates..
you can leave the safety suction switchs out of system by jumping out the Wires. As long as they say the topside is compatible with your circuit board then go with the latest version.