Billy
Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers
12672042

Last winter I purchased a heater, control head and both circuit boards

Customer Question

Last winter I purchased a heater, control head and both circuit boards (heater and main).
Hot Springs Vanguard - 2007
Model VV - Serial # ***** 3J1431
My problem is - when pressing the jet 1 or jet 2 button, the pumps try to start but kick out...I can hear a relay clicking off/on.
I have a video where you can hear/see the main circuit board.
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Update with video
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pressing the clean button has the same effect - pumps try to start but kick out (with relays clicking).
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
if you remove the load wires from the board (pumps) does the relay still fail? use reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check. I'm on a short vacation till Sunday. I know I measured across the jet pump terminals on the motherboard and could not get 120 v on either terminal (but wasn't sure if that was an issue)
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
please respond when you can
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the wires (white/black) on the control board for jet pump 1 and jet pump 2. When I hit the controls for either (including clean), I hear a single click from the relay and the control panel says the jets are running. I hope that doesn't mean both pumps are bad....or going bad? I have put $1000 into this hot tub....not sure when I should say that's enough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did reconnect each pump one at a time and they worked. I then but them both back on and everything seemed to work again. If it is an intermittent problem - do you think the relays are the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried my hot tub tonight and it went back to the spit and sputtering it did in the video. Any ideas on what would make it work one day and not the next. The recycling pump runs just fine. Would power be an issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the secondary control panel have a setting which would have the pumps fail in this mode? Or is it just the a bad main control panel and I need to request hot tub spa supplies provide a replacement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried starting the pumps for a week and finally today pump 1 started. I removed the wires from the circuit board a couple of times and finally it started. Before it started, all I got was the relays clicking and pumps spitting and sputtering - like the video. I attached a picture of what the led lights indicated within the circuit board.