Matthew Payette
Matthew Payette, Electrician
Experience:  Master Electrician
36876700

I have 1999 hot springs grandee. I just started getting a red

Customer Question

I have 1999 hot springs grandee. I just started getting a red flashing light. I have determined that if I just turn on the 20a breaker red light stays solid and pumps/jets operate normal. When I turn on the 30a I hear relays clicking and then the red light starts blinking and everything shuts down. I have bled the system to make sure there is no air and the filters are currently removed
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello is this unit running the electric heaters off the 30 amp?
Use reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is my understanding that the 20a runs the pumps and the 30a runs the heater
Expert:  Matthew Payette replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Matt let's see if I can help. Which light is blinking, the power light or the ready light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The red power light starts blinking as soon as I turn on the 30a breaker. I just replaced both thermistors but it didn't fix it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still waiting for a reply
Sorry about that, can you attach pictures of the Sub panel wiring and the control pane so I can further diagnose the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached the pictures you requested
Have you attempted to reset the heater thermal cut-off? It should be a button directly beneath the control panel you posted a picture of. Also can you post either a picture of your subpanel or tell me which wires you used from the 30 Amp breaker?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hot tub was in place when we bought the house. I did not wire it. We have been using it for the past 4 years with no problems. According to the manual the procedure for resetting the thermal cut-off is to disconnect the power. I do not believe there is a button
Judging by the information you've provided, my best guess is either a burnt out relay or a busted heater. These are common problems for hot spring hot tubs of that era
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The heater was replaced about 2 years ago. Which relay would I be looking at?