TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot Tub Repairman
Experience:  15 yrs. experience repairing all brands of hot tubs.
64889713

I have a 2004 Cal Spa and every time it runs the spa heats

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Cal Spa and every time it runs the spa heats up. I have already changed the temp. sensor and the circuit board but it continues to heat. What else could it be?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  TheHotTubGuy replied 1 year ago.
Hello.
My name is***** do my best to answer your question.
The water can heat 2 ways; the heater and water flowing through the plumbing (friction).
The heater may remain on if the heater relay(s)are bad. You should get some type of HL or OH error if this is the case.
If the filter cycles are set to generous, it can cause the temp to rise above the set temp.
If your heater element is bad and you are NOT using a gfci breaker, you can heat slowly due to a ground to heater through the water itself. This is very rare.
Make sure the tub is set to standard mode with the filter cycles set to F2. This will allow to have the tub hot and ready when needed but it should not overheat due to excessive pump run times.
When the tub has reached the set temp and the filter cycle has ended, the pump should shut off and the heat on LED on the control pad should go out. Unless you have a dedicated circ pump independent from the jet pumps, then the heater relay remaining closed will not throw an error until the tub reaches about 111F.
Standing by,
Todd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My filter cycle is set to F2 and the temp continues to heat to 111F and I get an OH reading. I already replaced the temp sensor and circuit board. Is there any other part that could be causing this. When I remove the cover the temperatures decreases rapidly.Thanks,
Ben