Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

I have a 20x40 in ground pool. I just had a new liner put in.

Customer Question

I have a 20x40 in ground pool. I just had a new liner put in. in the bottom of the 8' area at the seam where it starts to taper up on the side, I have a12"x5"x 4"deep sink hole. I'm very concerned, the installer not so. I would really appreciate an expert opinion.
Thanks, *****
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 1 year ago.
Well sink holes under liners are usually an indication of the vermiculite eroding. While it is not detrimental to the pool floor the depression WILL accumulate dirt and debris. This in time will put undo stress on the liner at that location, unfortunately the only way to fix this issue is to go under liner and fill in hole with new vermiculite and reset liner this is probably why installer doesn't sound worried. If the floor was prepped properly then this should not have happened in my opinion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In your opinion will I get normal life expectancy of my new liner. Assuming the void does not get bigger.
If the void does not get bigger and you do not abuse the chemicals then yes the liner should last. All pool liners are designed to stretch a bit so I do not think it is that big a deal but keep an eye on the size of it and be careful when you vacuum around that spot you do not want the vac head to get stuck on the edge of the sink hole and tear at the liner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** better about my pool problem.
No problem just keep an eye on it. Please accept my answer so I may get credit for it. Thank You