TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot Tub Repairman
Experience:  15 yrs. experience repairing all brands of hot tubs.
64889713

We have a 2009 Jacuzzi J315 hot tub. The message light indicates

Customer Question

We have a 2009 Jacuzzi J315 hot tub. The message light indicates FL 1. We followed manual directions regarding cleaning filters and refilled tub. The spa does not heat and the message remains. Is there anything we can do before calling the dealer?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. If you try running the spa without the filter as a test, do you still get the error message? Also, does the circulation pump seem to be quite hot to the touch after it has been running? Any unusual noises?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

My husband ran the spa without the filter and the FL 1 error message remains. There are no unusual noises. He will check the pump later this afternoon.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
Very good. Sorry for the delay in response. I was away on a call and did not mark myself as away for my status.....I sure thought I had done that though. If the pump is not overly hot and the flow seems to be running well then the issue is the flow pressure switch that would need to be replaced or flow sensor depending on what type is on that model. If the pump is overly hot and the flow seems a bit restricted then the issue could be that something is wrapped around the shaft of the motor, the impeller in the motor is broken and needing replacing or the motor itself is needing replacement. Of course to assess that it would require some surgery to diagnose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My husband will try to take a look at the circulation pump tomorrow as he wasn't able to work on it today. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The circulator pump is not overly hot, the flow seems normal and the

FL 1 message remains. How is it determined whether the problem is the

flow pressure switch or the flow sensor? Our Jacuzzi hot tub model is a 2009 J315 purchased used from a dealer 18 months ago for $3000. It has a one year guarantee. Are the parts you mention expensive?

Thanks. *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am still waiting for the reply to my last question sent yesterday.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry for delayed response. I will have to opt out and open to other experts. Mike
Expert:  TheHotTubGuy replied 1 year ago.
Hello.
F1 is flow switch remaining open when it should be closed.

You must be certain that the small circulation pump is flowing properly. Those pumps are prone to scale up if you have hard water. Remove the filters for troubleshooting. Turn the power of and back on again after 1min. Do you still get the F1 error?

If so, you will need to inspect your flow switch for debris and see whether or not it is closing. Here a a pic of what you are looking for. It will be in the plumbing connected to the heater.

Look closely inside the T fitting for debris preventing the metal arm from touching the post on the switch.

If the switch is closed and you are getting the F1 error, replace the switch. If you would like to send me a pic of your switch, that may be helpful.

Standing by,

Todd
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The water flow seems fine but the hot tub does not heat up and the FL 1 error message remains. We have tried the suggestions but have not been successful. I plan to call the Jacuzzi mechanic today and will need to pay their minimum charge for a house call. With this in mind, I'm not going to be able to also pay the charge for the online advice which didn't work out. Thanks for attempting to help. Elaine Martin