TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot Tub Repairman
Experience:  15 yrs. experience repairing all brands of hot tubs.
64889713

I have a Caldera Niagara hot tub that has stopped heating.

Customer Question

I have a Caldera Niagara hot tub that has stopped heating. Is there any trouble shooting we can do to figure out the exact trouble?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  TheHotTubGuy replied 1 year ago.
Hello.
My name is***** do my best to answer your question and resolve your issue.
Do you see "Temp" or dashes ---- flashing on the screen?
Are BOTH circuit breakers on? Double check the 20amp.
If there are flashing ---- or Temp in the display?
Be sure the water level is above all filters at all times, even with the jets on. Temporally removing the filters will eliminate them as the cause...it appears that you have already done this.
Verify the circ pump is flowing properly, the 20 amp did not trip off, and that the water level is high enough and the filters are not the issue. Some heater models have a manual reset on the heater. Check to be sure that did not trip off. Not every heater model has them.
Update me and we can continue. Poor flow from the circ pump is the primary cause for no heat.
Standing by,
Todd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The display reads temp (solid not flashing) 89 degree which I verified with a thermometer is the actual temperature of the water. The heat temperature is set at 100 degrees.
Both breakers are on, went ahead and tested them with the test trip and flipped them off and back on again and they are ok.
The circulation pump that usually pumps out the hot water is running and has a good amount of pressure (I would say it is the normal amount that always pushes out) but the water is not heated.
Jets 1 and 2 as well as air pump and lights are all working.
I verified that it is not in Summer mode.
There is not a manual reset on the heater.
I did check within the blue spa control box as I had read that sometimes it could get fried. There are no visible signs of scorch marks on the panels.
Okay, thank you for the update.
It appears that your tub is calling for heat, but not heating. If you lower the set temp to 80F, what does the screen show? Is there some indication that the tub has reached the set temp?
There are some small LEDs on the circuit board. I do not know what year your tub is, but usually they are at the top close to the middle (on the large circuit board). They are marked LIM ok, HTR on, and Control unplugged. Look to see if the HTR on LED is turning on and off when you raise and lower the set temp. If the HTR LED is ON, you should be heating.
If ON:
You will need to do some simple voltage checks at the power coming into the heater board from the breaker for the heater and at the output for the heater where the 2 heater wires connect. You should have 240v in to the heater board and 240v out to the heater when set above the current water temp. The heater outputs are marked H1 and H2
If you have proper 240v volts in the heater board and the HTR LED is on at the main board, but not 240v out at H1/H2.....you have a bad heater board. Often you will see signs of charring and/or burnt relays or smell that the heater board is bad. Sometimes it is not apparent until you remove the board and see the back.
If you have 240v out to the heater but no heat, you have a bad heater or a tripped heater hi limit on the heater. Not all models have them.
Standing by,
Todd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The LEDs on the control panel are on. When I adjust the temperature down the HTR LED goes off (as I figure it should when the heater turns off). There is not an indicator on the digital display indicating when the heater is running.
I could not find an H1 and H2 to check the electrical. I have provided pictures of the label for the hot tub as well as the control panel and connects at the heater. Please take a look at them and see if if can provide me with additional information on checking the electrical.Thank you,
Christopher Branham
Good morning,
Your wiring is not how it should be and needs to be corrected. You are using a 2wire w/ground for the 20 amp circuit where it must use a 3wire w/ground to provide separate neutral and ground wires. Your tub is not grounded properly and you are using a bare ground as a neutral wire.
What you need to check is voltage coming into the heater board and voltage coming out of the heater board. Here is how you test for voltage at the heater terminals:
1 and 3 should be 240v
Where the 2 heater wires connect, you should have 240v across them.
You cannot test to ground because you are not grounded properly.
This is an original heater board that does not have the H1/H2 terminals.
If the heater ON LED is on, you should always have 240v out at the heater wires. If you have 240v in and not out, you have a bad heater board. If you proper voltage into and out of the heater board and are not heating, you have a bad heater.
You must wire the tub correctly, including using the required 20 and 30 amp gfci breakers.
Standing by,
Todd