garrygoeson
garrygoeson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 27 years Repairing Pool & Spa Equipment,Gas Heaters,& Whirlpool Bath Tubs. Certified by many Pool & Spa Manufacturers.
64048604

When using my Hayward heater there's a knocking noise which

Customer Question

When using my Hayward heater there's a knocking noise which makes the hoses shake,like there is air in the heater that can't get out.
The heater works,but has the above happening.
What can I do?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 1 year ago.

Hi:

My name is Garry. I'll be glad to assist with your heater.

Without knowing the model and type of heater your Hayward is, I can tell you one cause of the noise you are describing. If there is a flow restriction of water into the heat exchanger, you will get this knocking noise. Check the pump and filter to be sure they are not restricting water flow. If this appears to not be the cause, tell me the model #, approx age of the heater, whether it is natural or propane gas, and I can continue to help you further. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model H100LD1 propane 6 years old

Thank you for your reply and supplying the requested info.

Have you tried removing the filter cartridge and temporarily operating the pump and heater without the filter cartridge installed? I'm trying to determine if there could a restriction that is limiting the amount of water entering the heat exchanger?

Let me know, please.