PitschPlumbing
PitschPlumbing, master plumber
Experience:  Factory Authorized service for Rheem, Raypak, Jandy and Laars pool heaters. Gas licensed
39094895

I have a Raypak H7-1253A boiler thay fires initially, heats

Customer Question

I have a Raypak H7-1253A boiler thay fires initially, heats up to setpoint temperature, will fire a second time after calling for heat than completely powers down. I can manually power it back up than repeats the process.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  PitschPlumbing replied 1 year ago.
Is the ignition control module blinking any codes? Or codes on the display? Is this unit equipped with a cold water run . In my experience, a high limit tripping will cause a system shut down, but that should show up on the display.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all err. codes state "IGN ERR" but the boiler fires at start up; no cold water run
Inside the unit is an ignition control module. Is the led on the blinking any codes? Starting to sound like a flame sensor issue. Possibly. Have you checked the flame sensor? What have you already tried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've replaced the flame sensor already. Had some lock out problems a while back and I replaced the LWCO PC board. My thoughts were leaning toward the High Limit Temp. Device. Wondering if I should set higher and see if this affects the PIM. I'm really curious why it powers down. Is this a fail safe of some sort?
You can try that, but normally a high limit fault would trigger a hi limit error message. Ign err is usually a flame. Flame rectification issue or electronic in nature. Have you cleaned the flame sensor? Or maybe even unplug it and try to fire the boiler and see if it does the same thing. Air filter clean? Have you gone through the simple things first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha. Yeah, I replaced the flame sensor yesterday; not much build up on the old one but replaced anyways. Unplug the flame sensor??
Does it do the same thing with the flame sensor unplugged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure. didn't figure it would work at all with the flame sensor unplugged. The Boilers in the field now & won't be able to check until morning.