garrygoeson
garrygoeson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 27 years Repairing Pool & Spa Equipment,Gas Heaters,& Whirlpool Bath Tubs. Certified by many Pool & Spa Manufacturers.
64048604

I have a sta rote sr400na. It will start running but when

Customer Question

I have a sta rote sr400na. It will start running but when it clicks to light it will not fire. Also it seems like the blower does not push as much.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 1 year ago.
Hi:
My name is Garry. I'll be glad to assist with your heater.
After it clicks to light, do you eventually get the "SERVICE HEATER" ligt to come on? If so, Check the back of the board to see if the "AFS" light stays on.
Also, check the gas meter after the heater tries to light to see if any gas is flowing to the burner. If there is any gas flow, it will only happen fo a few seconds.
Let me know what you find and we will continue from there. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heater will light for about 30 seconds. Then will go out and attempt to relight then service heater light comes on and it shuts down.. On initial boot I see a 180 and r8 also the AGS stays lite on curciut board.
Is the heater installed indoors with an external vent?
Make certain there is no blockage or restriction in the blower intake or exhaust. Check the vinyl tubing to the air flow switch for for any cracks or breaks in the tubing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is installed out doors stick vent. Intake is clear. Exhaust appears clear. Tubing looks good. How do I test the ags switch to make sure it is good?
The AGS (Automatic Gas Shutoff Switch), is located on the right side of the manifold (as you are facing the inlet and outlet).
Disconnect the wires from the AGS and check for continuity. No continuity, replace. When the heater is fired, make sure there is enough water flow to keep the AGS closed. Check the pump and filter to be sure it is not restricting water flow to the heater.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah this response came very late and untimely. I ordered a new blower kit, HLS, AGS, AFS, ignitor and stack sensor. Also took whole system apart and power washed coil and cleaned out housing. Also made sure everything was working and clear in the inlet box that connects to the coil. Everything in the housing and inlet box looked good. I think it is the blower motor. Will see..
You did state, in your opening question that the heater did not fire after you heard the "click". Also stating that you felt the blower wasn't pushing as much (air), so you may be on the right track as far as the blower motor failing.
I have experienced a similar situation, and when I replaced the blower the heater fired and continued to work.
Since you ordered many additional parts, I'm hoping that if it turns out to be a faulty blower, you will be able to return the un-needed parts for a refund.
Let me know how this all turns out for you. Thank you.