TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot Tub Repairman
Experience:  15 yrs. experience repairing all brands of hot tubs.
64889713

I have a new control board in a hotspring hotpoint from

Customer Question

Hi, I have a new control board in a hotspring hotpoint from 2002 and everything is working but the heater, wondering if its a jumper issue
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Circulation pump isnt running either
Expert:  TheHotTubGuy replied 1 year ago.
Hello.
My name is***** do my best to answer your question and resolve your issue.
What is the model or serial number of your Hot Springs? There is not a Hotpoint model. There is another product line called Hot Spot from Watkins.
Hot Spot and Hot Springs are made by the same company, but have completely different controls and troubleshooting.
Once I know what you have, we can continue. Please include any other info you think may be helpful.
What exactly did you replace...the control box or just the board?
Pictures can be extremely useful in troubleshooting. You may need to do some basic voltage testing.
I will be available for a couple hours then again this evening.
Standing by,
Todd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Todd,Sorry yes got a little mixed up - its a Hot Spot from 2002. What got replaced was the entire control box and heating tube, the light and the control pad. So basically everything but the pump.I've got the control pad controlled jumpers set as per the cover of the new box, and that seems to have got everything bar the heater to work. The LEDs on the control panel are also green
Thank you for the info.
Okay...
Do you have jets hi and low speed?
Does the light turn on/off?
Do you have 3 small dots blinking or solid in the display?
Have you given the tub a chance to heat? I say this because the Hot Spots heat very slowly, only 1 or 2 degrees/hr. The heat cycle will take 10 minutes to begin each time the jet pump is activated or power shut off/on. Do you have this wired the usual 120v (gfci plug on cord) or the upgraded 30amp 120v?
If you have the 3 flashing dots in the screen, does the pump flow good in low and hi speeds? Is the water level above the filter and is the filter clean or removed?
Standing by,
Todd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ToddDo you have jets hi and low speed? Yes they are working on hi and low
Does the light turn on/off? yes the light is working
Do you have 3 small dots blinking or solid in the display? there are 3 solid LEDs (Green) on the circuit board itself and the display is normalHave you given the tub a chance to heat? I say this because the Hot Spots heat very slowly, only 1 or 2 degrees/hr. The heat cycle will take 10 minutes to begin each time the jet pump is activated or power shut off/on. Do you have this wired the usual 120v (gfci plug on cord) or the upgraded 30amp 120v? I left it for about 30 mins yesterday without the jets going and no change in temperature.If you have the 3 flashing dots in the screen, does the pump flow good in low and hi speeds? Is the water level above the filter and is the filter clean or removed?The Pump is flowing fine at both speeds as usual, and the water line is above the filter and the filter is in
CheersDave
Dave,
Thanks for the info.
Okay, here is what I am going to ask you to do. Trust me.
Unplug the tub for about a minute
Plug the tub in and do nothing. Just let it go on it's own. It will heat to a default 100F or something close if programed differently.
Update me 24 hrs if it heated up or not. Remember, it still may not be 100F, but it should be significantly warmer.
These tubs heat extremely slow and unless you have a bad heater, I suspect that is what's happening. It will about 10 minutes before the low speed pump starts. The heat cycle will begin shortly after.
The dots I refer to will be in the screen not above the buttons. If you do see 3 flashing dots in the display usually below the temp, let me know sooner. If the circulation cycle led is on, let me know sooner.
Thank you
Standing by,
Todd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Todd,I'll plug it in when I get home from work and wont touch it and take a look in the morning when I get up and let you know
Okay, they heat very slow and it can really make you think it's not heating.
Ill wait for your update. By morning it won't be HOT but it should be noticeably warmer.
Standing by,
Todd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Todd,The Jets seem to keep kicking in without any input from me, i've checked there is no filter or cleaning timing kicking in, they just seem to turn on ?Any ideas, that might be whats keeping it from heating
Is this tub new to you?
This is what will happen when you start it up:
The tub will do nothing for about 10 minutes after powering it up.
The low speed jets should turn on after 10 mins.
The heater should turn on shortly after.
The low pump will continue to run until the tub is finished heating.
If the high speed is coming on without pressing the jets, you have the hi/low speed wires reversed.
The low speed pump will run anytime you are heating, filtering, or activate it using the button.
Anytime you press the jet button, it will reset the 10 min delay before the tub will resume heating once the jets are off or low speed again.
You will not heat in high speed or when the jets are not on. The pump will always be on low speed when filtering or heating. Your tub will take more than 24hrs to get hot from a typical cold tap water refill.
If your system is new, it isn't likely you have a bad heater. If there is an error or problem, the display will have 3 small flashing dots.
If you have a voltmeter or multimeter with an amp clamp you can check for 120v at the 2 heater connection about 10-12 mins after the tub starts up. If you have a clamping amp meter, clamp it around the incoming black or white power wire, you should see a significant amp draw difference from just the low pump.
Please try it again. If you care to send me some pics of the board, schematic, and jumper settings, I will double check everything.
Standing by,
Todd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a few Photos.No the spa isn't new to me but its been at my rental property for a few years so I may have forgotten what it was like. The Jets aren't on High definitely, as if you hit the jet button it kicks into high. The water has gone up 1/2 a degree since I left it on this morning. Files attached
Thank you. Can you send a pic of the schematic on the back of the box cover of the new system? I am having difficultly seeing the jumpers and what each wire from pump 1 is connected to.
If the jets start on low when powering the tub up fresh, the hi/low speeds are correct. The pump will circulate low speed to heat and only go into high speed if you activate the jets. That cycle will time out on its own and then the tub will resume low speed after the 10 min. delay.
Standing by,
Todd