TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot Tub Repairman
Experience:  15 yrs. experience repairing all brands of hot tubs.
64889713

Article spa motors are making a humming noise, screen says

Customer Question

article spa motors are making a humming noise, screen says flo
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  TheHotTubGuy replied 1 year ago.

Hello.
My name is ***** ***** do my best to answer your question and resolve your issue.

Arctic Spa? Big pumps, big motors.

The flow error is related to the hum from the pump. No flow, no go.

You will need to focus on why the pumps hum and not run properly. There are several common causes:

Bad start capacitor
Seized bearing due to bad shaft seals
Obstruction in the pump/impeller

First thing to check is the shaft seals and bearing. Look between the pump and motor on each unit. Do you see water scale and a rusty/hour glassed shaft? Can you spin the shaft using your finger to rotate it. Usually you can roll your finger against the shaft to turn it.

Is this both pumps?

It is likely you will have to remove the pump to service or replace it. A local pump/motor repair shop may be a good option for you. Those large pumps are pricey new.

If the tub has set a while empty and unused, motors can sometimes get stuck in one spot and not want to start. Inspecting and rotating the shafts is the first step to identifying the problem. If the shafts are not permanently seized, they may work after rotating them. I do want to prepare you for the worst case...you may need 1 or 2 new pumps/motors.

Seized bearings from bad seals is very common. Some are able to be repaired with new bearings/seals, some are not.

If you still have questions, just reply and we can continue. If you feel some pics would be helpful...please include them.

Standing by,

Todd