Billy
Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers
12672042

I own a pool company on Long Island. I installed a max e therm

Customer Question

I own a pool company on Long Island. I installed a max e therm 400 2 years ago. It didn't work properly from the get go. It would always fire up and run anywhere from ten minutes to a few hours and then service heater light would come on with no fault indicators lit. Turning it on and off would restart it. After switching out the main board, the igniter and several other parts to no avail a factory service tech replaced the gas valve which seemed to do the trick although I smelled a propane odor coming from the exhaust. The heater is acting up again with similar symptoms. It fires up and cycles on and off. I replaced the igniter and still the same. I then replaced the wiring and ignition control board - still going on and off. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
hello,
can you please tell me supply pressure to heater, manifold pressure when firing, and what does supply pressure do if an inside gas appliance kicks on while running?
Use reply please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gas company was there and changed regulator I don't think its a gas problem. Also separate from other appliances
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I apologize but I do not go on unknown and pressure is a crtical item..especially propane. Propane generally enters home at 11-12 wc...appliances run at 10.5. When pool heater involved pressure must be adjusted to compensate for the volume.
You have changed every critical part....every part that can fault operation..the problem has existed since install....thus I look at common denominators.
So...either you are the unluckiest installer ever getting all bad parts...or there is an existing situation. I have to rule out pressure first as it is the starting foundation.
You say separate from appliances...doe sthis mean the pool heater has its own tank?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's on a separate tank and line