poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

Have a Rheem pool heater. It sparks & ignites right away. After

Customer Question

Have a Rheem pool heater. It sparks & ignites right away. After about one minute, the heater makes loud banging & rattling noises. Its heating the water but the noises scare me so I turn it off. What is causing the heater to make these noises?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 1 year ago.
Hi:My name is Garry. I'll be glad to help with your heater.
The situation you're describing indicates that a lack of water flow is going into the heat exchanger, causing the little water in there to boil and this causes the noises you're hearing
Check the pump and filter, to be certain there is no restriction to flow. If you confirm the water flow is not restricted, we will need to start troubleshooting some components of the heater. Let me know the model and serial # ***** heater, and your findings, and we'll continue from there. Thank you.
Hi:
Just checking to see if you had a chance to check for good water flow into the heater?