TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot Tub Repairman
Experience:  15 yrs. experience repairing all brands of hot tubs.
64889713

I have a leisure bay spa that's not heating the circulations pump

Customer Question

I have a leisure bay spa that's not heating the circulations pumps runs fine not hot to touch just warm. The heat element canister isn't hot either and I'm getting a 112.5 volts from the control panel to the element I'm stumped. No error codes
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  TheHotTubGuy replied 1 year ago.
Hello.
My name is***** do my best to answer your question and resolve your issue.
If your tub is wired 240v, you need to have 240v across both heater terminals for the heater to work. You should normally get a 120v reading from either heater terminal to neutral or ground. There is usually 1 leg hot.
I am not sure what system you have or how old your tub is. Many of the Leisure Bay tubs used a canister heater w a pressure switch. If you have a circuit board, I would expect a flow error in the display or a bad heater relay on the board. If you have an older system by Pro Shield, you may have a flow problem with the circ. pump or a bad pressure switch on the heater. In either case, poor flow from the circ or bad pressure switch will cause a heating problem.
Update on what system you have or shoot me a couple pics so I can get my eyes on it. In the meantime, take a good look if the circ. is flowing properly, the water level is good, and the filter is clean. Look closely at the pressure switch to see if it's closing, leaking, or looks bad.
Standing by,
Todd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's is wired for 110v. I removed the filter, still no change. I can hear the relay cycle on as I change the temp settings. The pressure switch opens and closes as it should. Good flow through the circulation pump. No error codes. It's has a smart pack 3000 control box. Is there a way to check mode to see if it's on standard and not economy? Loll get pics asap
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also would like to add, I'll pace the settings to 95 degrees and I'll shoot the canister with a infrared thermometer, I'll will read within a couples of degrees of ambient tempature.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a pic
Good morning,
Thank you for the update and pic. Very helpful.
Okay, since your tub is 120v, not 240v, you will only get 120v at the heater when it is on. The heater must have voltage to heat. If the heater is bad, it can get the correct voltage, but still not heat.
Your topside control will have some indication if you are in standard or economy modes. Usually standard mode will just show the water temp and the set temp with no mention of standard mode. Economy mode usually will flash Ec, Econ, ect when changing the temp or flash between "Economy" and the water temp. If you turn the power off and power the tub back up a minute later, that should restart it in standard mode if unsure.
When the heat is set LOWER than the water temp the heater should be off and you should NOT have any voltage at either heater terminal to neutral or ground. Please verify this.
Now, scroll the temp up past the water temp at least until you hear the heater relay click. Check the voltage again at the heater. Test from EACH heater terminal separately to neutral in the box. You should have 120v from each terminal to neutral. Please verify this.
If you are in standard mode the tub should always maintain the heat where it is set. Please remember that 120v tubs heat very slowly...only 1 or 2 degrees an hour. You will see or feel very little temp difference between the water and the heater body even when working correctly.
If the heater is getting proper voltage when it should, it IS working or burned out. You will need a clamping type meter to read the amp draw of the heater to be positive that it is actually heating. Your heater should draw about 11 or 12 amps when heating.
Sometimes in these cases the heater is working, it just takes much longer to heat than expected. This may or may not be the case, often people I'm helping have recently got their tub and may not be familiar with how slow 120v models heat.
This tub will NOT heat when the jets are on, please be aware of this when troubleshooting.
If the heater is getting proper voltage when on, and the tub does not heat up at all, you have a bad heater.
Standing by,
Todd