Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have JANDY LRZ propane heater worked fine few hours

Customer Question

Hi, I have JANDY LRZ propane heater worked fine for a few hours and noticed no heat. Black soot on top , I cked the heat exchanger ok no debris & I also cked the flame sensor cleaned & reinstalled also noticed wire insulation was bare at the sensor. Separated them & still unit will not call for flame. All my connections are good & clean. Any suggestions ? Thanks Rick
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Is this millivolt (standing pilot) or electronic ignition?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rick , my system is millivolt.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, a millivolt system doesn't have a flame sensor. What it does have is a thermopile generator which is a flame sensor of sorts but not the type you clean. If the pilot stays lit then the first thing that needs to be done is to check the output of the thermopile since it generates all the voltage ( < 1 volt DC) to open the gas valve. If the pilot doesn't stay lit then the first thing we would do is replace the thermopile. If you don't have a multi-meter that can read DC milivolts you could try following the troubleshooting guide on the page below
http://www.parts4heating.com/v/vspfiles/Troubleshooting/LRZMTS.pdf