airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a hayward h400 propane heater. will not fire up.

Customer Question

hi i have a hayward h400 propane heater. will not fire up. the ign. lights up but will not flame on. i can however light it manually.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Do you get an error code when it fails to light? Also do you have a volt meter to see if we are getting 24 volts to the gas valve after igniter comes on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it gave me a IF code the gas valve is on because I can light it manually .
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
When the igniter gets warm go you hear a click and hear gas coming out for a second?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
TRy repositioning the ignitor so that the gas reaches it,The slightest bit out of alignment may cause ignition failure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'll try. So just spin it because its just a straight piece no bend or curve?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Looking at the diagram on the heater, there doesn't look to be much adjustment there is there?Did you replace with exact igniter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes? Its the one they gave me. I gave them my model # are there more than one kind
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looked just like the one I took off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its allmost like it needs to try to light just a little bit longer.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
THat is why I was wondering if it was the same. Different ones get a little hotter than others.I do not see much else we can check. I will opt out and see if other experts have more ideas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lighter gets red hot but will not fire. But if I stick a flame in one of the holes for the gas it will fire up when the green light clicks on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How many different ones are there?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
There are dozens. You should have the FDXLIGN1930
https://www.google.com/search?q=FDXLIGN1930&oq=FDXLIGN1930&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it looks just like that they. they gave it to me but there are no numbers on it. how can you tell
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
It should be correct if you gave them the model on the unit or the old igniter. There should be a number on it somewhere.I have opted out to see if other experts may have more ideas.