poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

What valve settings should I use when vacuuming silt from the

Customer Question

What valve settings should I use when vacuuming silt from the bottom of the pool?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, how can I help you today? Waste is the correct setting, but all the water and dirt should be going out your backwash line. Are you saying that when you vacuum on waste, you still have water coming out the returns into the pool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Water is going out to the street thru the backwash line. What I am asking is should I be closing some of the valves to isolate the suction at the vaccuum head? the suction is very weak. I did manage to get a better suction and more dirt was geting lifted off bottom of the pool and out thru the backwash line. I am simply asking if there is a better way?
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.
ok, sorry about that, when you said what valve setting, I assumed you meant the multiport valve on the filter. Yes, on the front of the pump, every pool is different, but basically you want all of the suction valves closed, except for the skimmer valve that you're vacuuming from. if you want to attach a picture of the valve set up on the front end of your pump, I can probably explain it a little better, but you always want to isolate all of your suction to just the skimmer that you're vacuuming from, all of the other valves going in to the suction side of the pump, should be closed during that time so that all of the suction is dedicated to the skimmer your sucking from.