poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

We have a Hayward s200 series high rate sand filter. How do

Customer Question

We have a Hayward s200 series high rate sand filter. How do we clean & replace the sand and filter. It is filled with "gravy" for lack of a better word.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, how can I help you today?. The s200 is a split tank model, as long as that's the correct model number. To change the sand out in the model you have to remove all the books that hold the top and bottom together. Then lift the top half of the tank off. Then I always use a shop vac to suck all the sand out. You can dig some out with a small shovel but then shop vac the rest. One it's all out, fill the tank with about 10 inches of water so the new sand doesn't break the plastic laterals in the bottom, then add your sand to the tank. Once it's all back together, start it up with the filter on RINSE, so all the dirty water doesn't go back in the pool. Then you're done.