Billy
Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers
12672042

I have an inground pool. Over the past couple of years, the

Customer Question

I have an inground pool. Over the past couple of years, the suction generated by the skimmers (I have two, deep end and shallow end on an 18 x 40 Lazy L)  has decreased. I used to be able to operate a kreepy krauly, but in the past few years have fallen back to manually vacuuming. I'm at the point now where if I attempt to vacuum using my deep end skimmer i get no suction, whereas the suction on the shallow end is OK but not great.

Another symptom - with all the valves open the pump operates fine, but when I turn off either end skimmer (and close the main drain) I get air in the system. That's with no vacuum hose hooked up.

Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

you have either a bad pump or pump seal. The pump is not moving the volume it should. I know it is new....but the seals can be affexted greatly if shut down and empty through off season.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's a thought, but I hope not. Let me ask you, does the O ring between the pump and the skimmer/main drain wear out over time? Because a fuller story is I had the pool new in 2003, and after about 4 or 5 years the draw from the skimmer became insufficient that I had to go manual. That was with the original pump, but I was able to get by.

As I said I replaced the original last year, but used the existing piping, and I did not see the improvement in suction that I expected. I get no water leak around the pump, and when both skimmers are open along with the main drain I get no air in the system. But when I cut the main drain and one or other of the skimmers, that's when I get air bubbles.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
you will need to check the seal between the pump and skimmer...I am pretty sure you are drawing air through the seal