poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

I have a Jandy pool heater - exchange heater. It's four

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Jandy pool heater - exchange heater. It's four years old. I just opened the pool (New Jersey). With the heater On, in Pool mode, in Auto, with water flowing through it, water is 65 F and heater is set to 78 F....The heater will start up (fan spins) but shuts off after about 30 seconds. It will repeat that every 10 min. or so. Previous years, if water flow was present, it wouldn't stop until the water temperature reached the desired temperature. Any ideas why it's turning off?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Tell me please if the burner actually fires, if the burner fires then goes off in 5 to 20 seconds, the problem is the flame sensor circuit..I need that timing exact... 30 seconds is a bit long for that to be the problem.
If the burner does not fire, then it is most likely a failed igniter.
Tell me a bit about you technical skill level and if you have a multi meter or not, we can discuss the options.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. I'll confirm the timing but it in all but two cases it shut off in less than 20 seconds. I believe when I first started it on Saturday it ran for about 45 seconds before stopping and when I first started it on Sunday about the same. But all consecutive times (in Auto mode) on both days it started and stopped well under 20 seconds.
I do not have a multi-meter. I can do very basic wiring repair but probably shouldn't be going under the hood on this unit!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I tell if the burner is firing?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Feel the exhaust it will be quite warm if the burner is firing, you can also listen intently for rushing sound the burners make expecially when the start.