TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot Tub Repairman
Experience:  15 yrs. experience repairing all brands of hot tubs.
64889713

I have a Balboa VS 501 controller on my spa. I cannot get

Customer Question

I have a Balboa VS 501 controller on my spa. I cannot get the pump to turn on. When I press the jets button I can hear a click, I am assuming is the relay, but the pump does not turn on.
As a result I get a prime error. I have tried turning the power to the spa off for a period of time and turning it back on.... whatever I have tried I am not able to get the pump to turn on.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  TheHotTubGuy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** allow me a moment to review your question thoroughly. I'll do my best to answer your question and resolve your issue.
On your control system there will be a dedicated fuse on the circuit board for each pump. If your system is a 1 pump model, you will have a 30amp fuse in the upper left area of the circuit board. If this fuse is bad, the relay will click and the pump will not be powered. Check/replace this fuse with an exact replacement. Home Depot/Lowes, ect will carry these.
If you sometimes hear the pump hum for a brief period followed by a click sound, you may have a seized up or bad motor. The pumps have a built in thermal overloads that will disable the motor in failed starts.
If the motor is always silent, check that fuse and replace if necessary or in doubt.
Standing by,
Todd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** got the pump working. I am also having trouble with the GCFI breaker. As soon as I turn the breaker on it trips. If I bypass the GCFI the spa works just fine, but for some reason the GCFI trips automatically. Is there some kind of setting I can adjust, I saw on another question something about changing the dip switches.Thanks.
Okay, at least we have 1 issue down. Those fuses blow sometimes and once replaced everything is usually fine if the new one doesn't blow immediately.
Since that is resolved, please take a moment to rate my help so far and I will be glad to help you with the gfci tripping...we can just continue on this thread without paying for a new question.
You may still have a pump issue, however, more likely you have a bad heater. It is the single most common reason for gfci tripping. So, lets try this:
I would like you power off the breaker completely and carefully remove both copper heater tabs from the heater. You will see 2 copper strips that go from the circuit board to the heater terminals, just use a 3/8" wrench or some small pliers and remove those 2 nuts. Be careful not to twist the terminals when loosening the nuts. If you start to twist the terminals, use a 1/4" wrench or needlenose pliers to hold the terminal below the copper strip while removing the 2 small heater nuts.
Then carefully bend the 2 tabs up and off the terminals so they are not touching anything. Now, repower the tub and update me what happens.
Standing by,
Todd
Any update?
Standing by,
Todd