poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

Pool guy good evening I'm having a spa issue with my cal spa

Customer Question

Pool guy good evening I'm having a spa issue with my cal spa can u help please
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My spa was turned on and I hear a low hum when I click the jets button the hum gets louder but no water movement the hum stops after a few seconds then starts up in about 15 seconds without water and continues. Like the motor is seized or over heating
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that sounds like the motor is seized up for sure, or it could just be a bad start capacitor on the motor. The first thing to do is lightly touch the motor, to see if it's getting hot. Generally if the motor is really hot, then one of those two conditions exist that I just mentioned. Was the spa shut down for a while before this all started, or had it been running fine, then quit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The motor is warm! It was given to me by a Sgt at work who has not used it in a couple years but worked fine. The spa was drained before he stopped using it
ok, yes, that's when they usually lock up is if they've been sitting idle for a month or more, 2 years is almost a definite problem. Well, a couple of options, you can try to break it loose and it may work fine if it breaks. Sometimes they won't break loose at all and you then have to decide to either have it rebuilt by someone, or replace it with a new one. If you can post me a picture of the back end of the pump in question, I can walk you through how to try and break it loose if that's something you'd like to try.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't mind trying it's cheaper than getting new I would assume! These are the best shots I can give
well, lol, those are all great shots of the front end of the pump. I actually need to see the back end, where the electric chord comes into it, if that's possible. That's actually where we access the motor shaft to see if we can break it loose. I'm leaving my office to head home, I'll be offline for about 45 minutes during the drive, I'll turn my laptop on when I get home to check back in. Thanks, Jeff
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can get to the backside
Hmm, ok, then the only way to try and break it loose would be to remove the pump from the spa room access the back shaft.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will remove it tomorrow as it's dark out now I will reply to you tomorrow morning let you know thank you
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pool guy I finally removed the motor here is pics of the rear of the motor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went ahead and checked the motor is not seized. When I removed the motor I sprayed it with PB blaster to help free it and it worked. However when I hook it all back up it still just hums not water movement.